Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Ridgid sidewall cutter No.208
- - By TRC (***) Date 06-24-2008 20:47
Does anyone know of another manufacturer who makes a tool that does the same thing as a Ridgid 208. They have discontinued this wonderful tool. FYI it is used in the gas distribution arena when old steel mains have been inserted with plastic and access to the new plastic is necessary i.e. a new gas service. Ted
Parent - - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 06-25-2008 04:05
Ahh, the wonderful window cutter.  recently logged some quality time with one of these myself. We borrow the one from the gas company when we have to do a tie-in on and inserted line. makes you want to scream when you gotta make a long multi pass and your ditch isn't quite wide or long enough.  BTW-  I don't know what else you could use in replacement of the 208.  Wish there was an easier way.
Parent - - By Robert Turney (*) Date 07-06-2008 00:39
The side cutter is one of the more dreaded tools in life of a Gasman.  Especially when  its 3" inside of 4".  Gotta love em'!!!!!!!!  First time I used one I broke the wheels.  I didnt break anymore when I found out they cost as much as $100 a piece.
Parent - - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 07-09-2008 17:54
Yeah, know all too well about breaking the wheels.  last time I used one I brok 3 in one day!  pipe had some pretty bad stress on it and kept biting a nice smiley face in them.   This was 3" plastic in 4" and the gas company super wanted the windows to be about 3 cutter lengths long just in case they needed to go back later.  That made for some interesting days. Like you said it has to be the worst to mess with.  Glad that we don't do many of them.  Not sure which is worse to work with... the 208 or a 4" groundhog.
Parent - By Robert Turney (*) Date 07-21-2008 01:20
Ain't nothing good about a hog either.  What about tapping a high volume tapping tee on 8" plastic?  FFFFFUUUUUUNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Ridgid sidewall cutter No.208