Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / boots
- - By JHarlos (**) Date 06-25-2008 00:29
what are all of you guys wearing.  gona need a new pair pretty soon.
Parent - By 1mancrew (**) Date 06-25-2008 01:59
Red Wings are the only ones that even make my size. 11-A with a high arch. They seem to hold up real well but keep 'em oiled!!!

GH Weidman
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 06-25-2008 02:21
Got a pair of Redwings for normal work and a pair of Wolverines for nuke work. You can't go wrong with either. Double H is pretty decent too. Don't get Justins unless you want to buy a new pair every 6 months.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 06-25-2008 14:49
Red Wings with inserts in the winter and Carhartt slip ons in the summer with some foot inserts.  The Carhartt sole didn't last to long around the toes from a lot of crawling around, so I'll be looking for another brand of slip on here before to long.  If your going to be doing a lot of crawling around in tight spots and banging your feet a lot, I recomend you go with a boot that goes up way past your ankle to cushin the blows and for extra support.;-)
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 06-25-2008 15:04
Wolverines are very comfortable.
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 06-25-2008 15:13
My last couple of pairs have been this style of Doc Martens.  Really lightweight and durable.  I am not throwin sparks on them though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Dr-Martens-0010-Steel-Toe-Mens-Work-Shoes-Boots-12_W0QQitemZ130232784738QQihZ003QQcategoryZ63850QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-25-2008 16:23
I wear Redwing boots. Also if you will be on your knees and crawling from time to time, Redwing also sells a rubber toe guard that can be glued on to almost any brand of boot. They cost about $12.00 and I have never had a set come unglued, just follow the instructions. They have extended the life of my boots tenfold. I will see if I can find a pic or link to post.

jrw159
Parent - - By Jenn (***) Date 06-30-2008 13:09
This stuff is along the same lines, but you brush it on, two thick coats of this stuff will make your boots last soooo much longer!!! They sell something like it at Work zone's that works the same. Hubby and I both put this on all of our new pairs of boots, we get tons more time out of them since we started doing this. It's added waterproofing too, good for around the top edges of the soles, where they always breach on you.

http://www.kgsbootguard.com/fnimall/boot_guard.phtml

Regards to all,

Jenn
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-30-2008 13:35
Jenn,
  Yeah, this product works well. I have several friends that use this. One friend had his truck bed "Rhino-Lined" and while he was there he taped off his boots and had the toes "Rhinoed" as well. TOUGH! They look pretty neat as well.

jrw159
Parent - - By spgtti (**) Date 07-01-2008 00:04
Wolverine durashock slip-ons w/ a wedge sole are a good combination of comfort and durability but Doc Martin Gaucho slip-ons are like wearing protective slippers to work.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-01-2008 00:17
Are they steel toed? I am looking for something more casual and comfortable to wear around the shop. I do not need to worry about burning them up since when on the rare occasion that I am in the sparks, I have the leather boot covers that velcro on. Steel toe's are manditory though.

jrw159
Parent - By spgtti (**) Date 07-01-2008 02:24
  Wolverines and Docs both can be had in steelies.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / boots