Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Qualification
- - By SH21 Date 06-25-2008 15:02
If I am qualifying a welder on 1/2" plate for a limited thickness qualification, should I be doing side bends or face/root bends?  Also, if doing side bends, how wide should I cut my strips?  Thanks for the help.
Parent - - By 3.1 Inspector Date 06-25-2008 15:06
SH21,
It's all written in Section IX - if that is the standard you want to use!
I dont want to sound rude, but you really gain more knowledge by reading the stuff yourself - and THEN ask questions if something is not clear to you.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 06-25-2008 16:44
I'd do sides, 3/8 wide with the edges SLIGHTLY radiused.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-25-2008 19:57
If you are welding with a single process and at least 3 passes, your thickness may be unlimited. Also contained in Section IX. For D1.1 and other codes it may differ. What code are you using for certification?

As already indicated, it is suggested you have the code available .
Parent - - By SH21 Date 06-25-2008 22:30
I'm working out of D1.1.  The code only shows me a 3/8" coupon for limited and 1" for unlimited.  I have been using a 3/8" strip.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-25-2008 22:38
Take a look at Table 4.11 and take note of anywhere you are referred to notes.  The table will let you know what the qualified range is for different tests/specimens. Then take a look at figure 4.12.
Parent - - By cong nguyen (**) Date 06-28-2008 07:04
If the project specification that you are working for is not required, then you should not be doing side bends or face/root bends, RT for min 150 mm of test coupon is enough for WQT. If it is required by project specification then you should be do bends test for WQT depend on the code, for example if you qualified welders folowing ASME IX then you should do bends test as per QW-452 for number of test coupon and QW-462 for dimension of test specimens.
For further discussion please contact me via email!
Parent - - By Richard Cook (**) Date 07-01-2008 02:15
AWS does specify bends but does give the option to Radiograph the coupon instead. Most shops find it easier to do bends inhouse with a CWI. This is more cost effective in the long run and dependent on the industries need would be more productive.

side bends at 3/8" thick, assuming your talking about pipe certification, number dependent on position welded. see table previously mentioned

If my memory serves me right Radiography is an acceptable alternative for ASME IX for welder Quals, unless it has changed in the last couple of years.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 07-01-2008 02:54
you can RT Asme IX  & D1.1, except for GMAW-S (D1.1, not sure about ASME on that!)
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welder Qualification