Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New to welding, new to the forum, got a ?
- - By MetalFinagler (*) Date 06-26-2008 04:47
Hello I've been reading posts on this site for the past 2 months. I thought its about time to register. I just started a welding class about three weeks ago. Its a 4 hour 2 nights a week class. And its not enough. I do believe I found the greatest thing ever. If im not under the hood i'm thinking about it, reading about it, talking about it, or dreaming about it. I just bought a Miller XMT 304 cc/cv welder with a 22-a feeder for 2500. My question is, is this a good welder for me and was that a good price? Thanks a bunch.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 06-26-2008 05:00
yeah I feel the same way I am always thinking what else can I build where can I go to make more money. I keep telling myself you gotta get more of a life then just welding 24/7 sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't but nice thing is I have finally found something in my life I truely do love to do, alot of people will spend a lifetime searching for a job they enjoy and they seem to really never find it. about the machine I have no idea sorry. What year is this machine you bought??

Chris
Parent - By MetalFinagler (*) Date 06-26-2008 05:10
I want to say 2002 but I'm not positive. The feeder is brand new though.

Anthony
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-26-2008 06:09
Hello MetalFinagler, welcome to the forum, I believe you will enjoy your association with this site immensely. As for your question regarding the machine that you purchased; the XMT 304 CC/CV and the 22A feeder new as a package would cost roughly 4800.00 give or take a bit, so I would say you made a very nice buy on this combination. To answer your other question about whether this is a good machine for you I would have to say yes for a number of reasons; one, it will operate on just about any voltage and also single or three-phase power, the power source is also capable of running wire, stick, various types of GTAW, excepting AC GTAW, and is all-around a very versatile power source. The 22A feeder is a very basic and reliable feeder that will give you many years of trouble-free service. So certainly enjoy your find and apply your skills with it as you attain them. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By MetalFinagler (*) Date 06-26-2008 06:33
Thanks aevald. Being multi-process was one of the biggest reasons why I got it. The only welding I have done so far is stick. (just started vertical downhill w/6010) I wanted to make sure I didnt limit myself to just one welding process. I have another question, where can I find info on what type of rod to use on certain types of metal? Also for mig and tig. Does that make sense? I cant get enough of this.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-26-2008 07:15
Hello again Anthony, I believe you mentioned that you are in school? Do you have any textbooks that you are using in your classes? If so, you will likely find a chapter(s) on filler metals and their uses in your book. You could also check out the Miller, Lincoln, Esab, and other welding manufacturer sites to find product information on various types of rods for the various welding processes. Additional information could probably be found by going to the sites that McKay, Hobart, UTP, Bohler, Eutectic, Harris/Weldco, Corex, Stoody, Avesta, and a bunch of others whose names I can't think of right now can be found. Use the google search function of the internet to locate additional resources and also try the search function of the forum here for yet more information and reading to help you. You've asked questions that may not seem to encompass much but there is information in various forms that could take an unbelievable amount of time to come up with all of the possible answers to. If you aren't currently an AWS member you may want to consider signing up as a student member and this will give you access to a large amount of additional information that could possibly answer more of your questions. I believe the student membership prices are fairly reasonable and upon signing up you will receive some very nice reference materials directly related to welding. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By MetalFinagler (*) Date 06-26-2008 08:00
Alright thanks aevald, I really do appreciate it. I will be signing up today. Where in Washington do you live? I'm from the Tri-Cities.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-26-2008 15:09
Hello Anthony, I teach in Longview at Lower Columbia College, we're located about 45 miles north of Portland up the I-5 corridor. In my younger years I spent a lot of time in the Tri-cities, they also have an excellent school at CBC in Pasco. Talk to you more later. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By MetalFinagler (*) Date 06-27-2008 04:04
Sweet. I've been to Longview many times. I have a friend who just joined the forum who is going to CBCs welding class.
Parent - - By Macc53 (*) Date 06-27-2008 00:12
Welcome,
  I live very near to you near walla walla. Grew up near longview washington but now live on the hot dry side. Maybe sometime we can hook up.

Macc
Parent - By MetalFinagler (*) Date 06-27-2008 04:07
Thanks, been to walla walla many times as well. Used to go to alot of auctions down there. I'll be back in the Tri-cities between august and october of 09 when I get out of the Navy.
Parent - By Jenn (***) Date 06-26-2008 12:36
Metalfenagler,

Welcome to your new "crack" as I say. :) I too have the same addiction for the last 6 months or so. It's wonderful. An addiction that will get you paid!!! Your appetite for learning more will only get worse. You'll only keep realizing the more you find out the more there is to learn, it's endless.

Enjoy!! Welcome to the forum, there is TONS of information on here, these guys and girls know so very much. Have a great time in your classes!

Respectfully,

Jenn
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 06-26-2008 19:15
Anthony,
Welcome to the Forum!
Your experience mirrors mine. School (alone) just didn't satisfy my need to be welding. I have welding fever in a serious way. I can't get enough of it. Keep that enthusiasm and it WILL pay off after school. Maybe you can catch a welding Gig while going to school. I did, and I still have more interviews to go to next week. Good luck to You.
Respectfully, Jeffrey
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-26-2008 20:16
Listen to this guy!! He's an inspiration. :-) S.W.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-26-2008 20:15
Welcome to the best forum ever! As Allen had told you on your machine, you got a good buy. Sure, you can get them cheap, but not bad price for what you got. I have one with a 74 series feeder. Nice machine & it stick welds beautiful too. I stick weld with mine more than MIG. You can run a variety of stuff like suitcase cabinets & spool guns off them too. Redi arc? From Ebay? Good machine, no, great machine! It will hold it's value very well & last many years to come. :-) School's excellent too. Keep going & learn all you can. I'm sure you have learned a lot already! Some great people on here to learn from. Allen Evald is probably one of the nicest, most helpful guys on here that teaches full time. See he already posted some things for you.

You'll meet some real cool folks if you stick around. You already have. :-) My name is Steve, the junk iron guy. :-) See ya around! S.W.

"I'd love to change the world...But I don't know what to do.....So I leave it up to you..." (I Would Love To Change The World, Ten Years After, A Space In Time LP)
Parent - - By MetalFinagler (*) Date 06-27-2008 04:25
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I will most definatly be on here for years to come. And yes S.W. I got it from red-d-arc on ebay. I cant wait to get it. I hate the weekends with no welder. Just sittin around waiting for monday so I can go to class and finagle some metal.

))))))) Finagler
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-27-2008 04:40
Welcome to the site. Have fun with Your new toy.
Parent - By MetalFinagler (*) Date 06-27-2008 04:44
Thanks. And I will. I'll be burning rods till I run out of money or untill they run out of rods.
Parent - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 06-27-2008 04:46
Finagler,
I couldn't agree more with Steve's advice about tapping the mind of Allan Evald. You won't be disappointed with the wealth of experience and knowledge He can impart to you. The man is an Encyclopedia of welding, and he is always willing to help. I think that most everyone here is willing to help see another person join the Trade we all love so much. Keep Arcin' and Sparkin'!
Respectfully, Jeffrey
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-29-2008 01:28
If you wanna set it up for TIG, get in touch with me. I'll direct you to a very good place to get a torch & pedal for a reasonable price. You'll have to get an HF box for HF, but you can scratch start DC TIG with no issues with that machine Good luck & keep me posted! S.W.
Parent - - By MetalFinagler (*) Date 06-29-2008 12:57
Alright thanks. I will definatly want to get that set up eventually. I'm starting to realize how expensive this is. I still have alot of stuff I need to get before I can even use the welder. I'll get in touch with you when I'm ready for some TIG. Again Thanks.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-29-2008 16:13
It's not all too expensive if you know where to look. Lots of good prices out there, you just have to shop around. Give a shout if I can be of any assistance. I'm not out to make anything off you, I'll help out if I can. Thanks. S.W.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New to welding, new to the forum, got a ?