Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ISO Audit
- - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 06-27-2008 13:48
Has anyone recently been thru an ISO audit, If so are there any resources you can pass on or direct me to so i can be sure that i have everything in place. Maybe a list of things that are going to be looked at?
MK
Parent - By motgar (**) Date 06-27-2008 14:24
Just a brief overview of ISO.  It has a small section describing the audit process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9000

Found this on the web.  Not sure if you are ISO 9001, or some other.

http://www.vpc.vn/_DocDirectories/_SharingDoc/DocumentSharing2006_5_9_17_56_22.pdf

Here is another website.  This one states that a new version is due to come out December of 2008.

http://www.iso9000checklist.com/iso_9001-2000_checklist.htm

Not sure if this is what you were looking for but, I have never had to endure such an audit.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 06-27-2008 18:27
When I worked at GM, one of the biggies was paperwork. Especially anything defining a job & it's steps. You want it in order, with the pictures & descriptions matching the work stations. I was told that's the biggest thing the auditors look at. Also, the operators need to know the quality statement & be able to walk the auditor thru the job & do it verbatim per the job instructions. NO deviations!! If it's a fluid type job, they may allow an under construction parameter to be placed on said job.  All the business plan deployment charts, work injury status, etc & crap have to be posted clearly, all up to date & constantly monitored. I don't know how your system is set up there, but that is what it was like for us.

It's a big waste of money if you ask me. It simply states what job you do & defines the operation of it for the most part. Every place is different, but I am under the impression the job station definitions, are for the most part the same no matter where you go. Good luck! S.W.

"In Burton Town, there lived a lonely man..He had two sons, and a daughter fair...." (Burton Town, Traditional)
Parent - - By James Corbin (**) Date 06-27-2008 19:11
Say what you do then do what you say!

It's all in the written procedures, if it's on inventory or you see it, smell it, count it, log it, touch it, move it, assemble it, paint it, clean it, dispose of it, you must account for it in a procedure somewhere. If your product has a written in a code you need follow then you must have a procedure to show how you will deal with the codes requirement.
Then leave the procedures as broad as you can to keep them from having too much inflexibility. (If you need to change it later you will have to explain why you needed it changed)
Then only answer the auditors questions, do not add anything or explain anything you do beyond what was asked, saying too much will only bring on more questions.

Hope this helps
Parent - - By strat (**) Date 06-28-2008 00:40
sounds similar to a aisc audit,is it or is ISO more stringent than aisc
Parent - By James Corbin (**) Date 07-03-2008 02:42
To keep it as simple as I can ---
For an AISC audit AISC sets the rules/tone along with IBC, AWS codes to follow. AISC tells you what procedures you will need and you write them within what ever system you currently use. If you don't have a written RFI form, Controlled or Un-Controlled copy drawing issued log etc., you get one. You will not need a procedure for everything you do only what AISC says you need a procedure or log or form or documents etc. As an example you will need to show them a WPS and a WQTR. The auditor will not ask you for 50 WPSs only the one (or more) you may have to cover the welding you are doing along with one or more WQTRs to cover each weldor that is welding the day of the audit. (That is not to say that is all you may need) AISC will not ask you for a procedure for writing a welding procedure.

With ISO you set the tone within the codes/industrial standards your company work within.  ISO may require you to write a procedure for writing a WPS to go along with the example above.  No two companies would wirte the same system. With AISC you could. For an example when a code you work with sets specific parameter you write a procedure describing how you will do it to meet the codes requirements so anyone can read it, understand it, and then do it. You can write in too much detail which then will not leave you any room to vary so don't get too detailed when it's not needed. I have even seen procedures for answering the phone, that's getting carried away, that issue could be put in a memo so not to make it part of your ISO system. 
If you need more information you need an ISO consultant who specializes in your industry.
Again say what you do then do what you say.

An ISO system is much more complex than what AISC asks for, some companies take years to write and perfect an ISO system that works for them.
No single answer in this forum can address this complex issue.

I hope this helps
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 07-03-2008 11:33
I've been thru several,and I'm a certified quality auditor as well.Your procedures have to reflect the work you do to a tee.Basically "do what you say,and say what you do".
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 07-03-2008 11:51
Well how specific do they really need to be, some of the Manufacturing we do is our little secret and we don't want to spell out how we do what many have tried and failed to duplicate.
MK
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-03-2008 12:23
Simply state that some processes are proprietary.
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 07-03-2008 15:28
Make it as generic as possible,no trade secrets or anything.
Parent - - By PhilThomas (**) Date 07-03-2008 17:41
I would suggest you contact someone to act as a consultant for this effort.  Some of the information in the forum, while surely well-intended, is misleading or even incorrect.

For example "Say what you do and then do what you say" is NOT sufficient if what you do doesn't comply with the ISO 9001:2000 standard.  The standard requires a management review of the quality management system - so you must be conducting such a review at specified internals using the required inputs.

The current standard only REQUIRES six documented procedures, but many companies have more.

You are required to have a quality policy and manual.  Employees must know the quality policy and be able to demonstrate or describe how they support that policy.

Several of the registrars offer what is called a "gap analysis" where they come in, evaluate your QMS and tell you specifically where you are not meeting the requirements of the standard. 

Sounds daunting, but it doesn't have to be "Dilbert-esque".....there is no requirement to have procedures for making coffee or reloading the tp dispenser :)

hth,
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 07-03-2008 20:02
Well the gentlemen is definatly going to have to do some research on his own,I was just making a general statement about the gist of ISO 9000.There are several elements that you have to adhere to,and you have to have a good quality system in place before you attempt to get certified,but you need to be vague in you procedure writing.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ISO Audit