Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / generator
- - By hd4man (*) Date 06-29-2008 05:04 Edited 06-29-2008 05:13
i have a 350 miller arc pac. how much of a generator do i need to run it ?
thanks,
hd4man
Attachment: bspic040.jpg (0B)
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-29-2008 12:13
You can get the exact owners manual for your Arc Pac at Millerwelds.com.

Since it's an inverter the power draw should be reasonable.

If your considering making your Arc Pak a mobil unit and running off a generator you may want to reconsider.

Finding support for maintaining that machine will be difficult to impossible.  It's a first generation machine and Miller wants nothing do do with them..

Pretty good performance in a shop but I would not suggest you bounce about and shake up those practically irreplacable circuit boards.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-01-2008 03:21
You said it right on those Lawrence. I know a few resalers with stacks of them & although they are a good machine, if it frys....You are most likely screwed, because the same problems usually occurs with machines like that & finding good used (or even new) parts, almost an impossibility. The boards can be repaired, but it's a Pandora's box with those early inverters.

Running one off the fluctuating power of a generator, as you mentioned, would be a bad idea. Any rise or fall in line voltage could fry it instantly. Those old inverters, like the AP 350 & the XMT 300's are soooo touchy. The 300's are a much better bet, but all the same..... Old is old.

The Maxtron 450 did have a very good track record for an earlier inverter & many are still in service today. I sell the crap out of them when I get a deal on a lot of them. Just not a good machine to go balls out @ 38 volts all day, day after day though. :-) S.W.
Parent - - By hd4man (*) Date 06-29-2008 20:03
thanks. this unite will not be mobile. what i was looking for is a wattage out put needed to  run this welder.
thanks,
greg
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 06-30-2008 04:14
     To elaborate on My response to Your post on the other thread, I think You need to look at KVA as opposed to watts. The machine is rated to draw 16.7 KVA 3 phase for 350 amp output or 14.3 KVA single phase for 275 amp output. A single phase 15 KW generator [15,000 watts] should run it, but depending on how the generator handles an inductive load that large, it might not run it well, or at max output. I would listen to the cautions from the others about running this inverter on a generator.

You would probably be better off using an engine driven welder, it would be more power [and fuel] efficient. What welding processes Do You want to do?
Parent - By hd4man (*) Date 06-30-2008 04:51
thanks for the info.
hd4man
greg in san jose
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / generator