Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / gin pole bed cost
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 06-29-2008 17:21
Just built a ginpole bed for a friend in the industry. Lost my a## on it, even tho he had to shell out big bucks for it.

What would you bid on it...........?

8x11 bed, 4 under the bed tool boxes,(18x18x36), 2 over the bed boxes, ( one that is 39 inches long, for threaders and pipe wrenches), in the bed receiver w/spring loaded pin, lights, headache, 1500lb winch, pole troughs, tail roll, internal shiv receiver, chain racks, and shovel/hoe racks between the cab and headache.

Turn key, what would you charge.

3/16 frame, and most everything else 1/4", besides the tail roll.         ?????????
Parent - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 06-29-2008 17:50
Sounds to me like your a pretty good friend tryin not to fleece a friend and took a hit on the price. Around my area most of the shops that offer a bed like your talking about get about $15,000 for a bed of that calibur installed. Don't know what you got but thats pretty close on profit. Steel is threw the roof!!!
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-29-2008 20:34
I am going to be honest with you sourdough, I would not even bid this. I would refer them to someone like yourself. But that is just me.

I do not know where you ended up on the loseing end of this deal, bit I KNOW you will learn from it and even if you did not make a profit on this one, you have gained experiance that will allow you to avoid this in the future. 

Keep your head up and your eyes open, like you always do.

jrw159
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 06-30-2008 17:41
I bid 12 grand, but had over a hundred hours in it. I walked away with 3 grand in my pocket.........!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / gin pole bed cost