Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Silicon content in Steel
- - By mblm Date 06-30-2008 00:12
I am making comparisons of some international steel grades with ASTM grades. Specifically low alloy carbon steels of 50 ksi yield.
I'm looking for information on the relevance of the allowable percentage of silicon in steel as specified in ASTM vs another International specification with higher Si allowable.

Thanks
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-30-2008 13:52
This is a good question but not likely to be answered comprehensively within this short forum.
Si is present predominantly as a deoxidizer. But it also provides some solid solution strengthening and hardenability. Without looking at a parcel of specs I would make the general assessment that you will see Si go down for lower temp specs (since it is generally detrimental to impact toughness), down for cleaner steel specs like pressure vessel types (with some exceptions), and up for higher temp specs. It will generally be limited on the top side with considerations of narrowing the austenite range and/or excessive fluidity or even hot cracking.
The specific ranges, IMO, would be determined by a combination of available data, the specific application being considered in the specification, and however the debate amongst the specification committee members with their usually tremendous experience was resolved.
To fully answer this you would need to speak with a long time specification committee member and get a metallurgical history of the discussions involved.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Silicon content in Steel