Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / welding in wet conditions
- - By R Mitchell (*) Date 07-01-2008 12:27
Are there any suggestions as to when it is time to quit or what to wear in wet or raining conditions?Sometimes you just dont want to call off the work but want to be as safe as you can.
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 07-02-2008 22:42
For wet welding we use dish gloves under our regular dive gloves.  Sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't.  Unfortunately I've had the pleasure of welding in the rain and with waves coming over the sides of the boat.  I would say that if you're getting the s**t shocked out of you, I would call it quits, IMHO.

Charles Welch
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 07-04-2008 12:39
I had posted a little something here a few days back, and it disappeared.

Welding in the wet:

1. Dedication - I am going to ignore the tingling in my arm and get this weld done.

2. Professionalism - Well, that hurt mighty bad, but that job's done.

3. Loyalty - Captain and Chief Engineer standing there watching you weld it, no matter the 600lb steam and the puddle you're laying in.

In all seriousness, I have been there.  If you use a pacemaker, welding aboard ship is a bad idea, methinks.  Looking back, there was probably a lot of abatement I could have performed prior to any of those situations.  But anyone can do it that way.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 07-09-2008 12:38
Ron, the best advice I could give you would be to have some one close by to explain to passers by what all the screaming is about and that no one is being mutilated (against their will).

The hardest part is putting the rod in the stinger, once you strike (and maintain) the arc all the current by passes you and its very bliss full, Kinda like beating you head against the wall. It feels so good when you quit.

The problem is usually you have to stand in the water that completes the circuit to ground through you (when you are not welding), so if you can avoid that you won't get shocked.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-10-2008 04:39
RonG; I totally agree.  I began my welding career in a shipyard in Seattle... many of you probably realize Seattle is a pretty rainy place.  Got lot's and lot's of shocks in those years.  If I knew then what I know now... never would have done it... not only a health hazard but also every single welding code I know of strictly prohibits this practice.  Yeah, I know there's cases where codes be d*mned, but the rules are there for a reason.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 07-10-2008 13:24
Hey Jon, How you been?

We live and learn (hopefully). I worked under ground in a Copper mine and it rained every day all day long (and night). We had Welding machines that ran on compressed air the current flow was not very steady but it got the job done. No code, no inspectors just a bunch of hard ass miners to deal with if a weld failed and some one got hurt.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-10-2008 13:30
Under water welders don't complain of welding shocks, they wear insulated gloves that raise their resistance to something slightly higher than the surrounding water. seems much more easy to get a modified stinger with a thumbswitch like a tig torch so that it kills the OCV when you don't need it.
Parent - - By R Mitchell (*) Date 07-10-2008 19:17
jon what codes are you refering to? I am dealing with my risk management department and have been asked to provide information about this subject.for some reason everyone has taken this topic as a laughing topic to joke about.I am asking for information to support the fact that it is or is not OK to weld in wet condition,and what PPE is recomended to wear.I too have been a welder for 25 years and agree with all the comments that have been made,although if there are codes and regs. to refer to please tell me where to look for this info.
Thanks Ron Mitchell
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 07-11-2008 16:48
29cfr 1910.254(d)(6)

Manufacturers' instructions. Printed rules and instructions covering operation of equipment supplied by the manufacturers shall be strictly followed.

I bet that every modern welding machine says on it somewhere "DO NOT WELD WHEN STANDING IN OR NEAR WATER."
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 07-31-2008 11:30 Edited 07-31-2008 11:37
Yeah okay then... Tell that to "Gndchuck" who's been underwater wet welding for quite some time now, and I'll bet you he'll beg to differ!!! ;) :) :)
If you don't believe me, just read Charles Welch's signature which tends to qualify him as someone who knows a thing or two with regards to underwater wet welding!!! ;)

"Ah the joys of welding underwater, no sparks to burn you, you can touch the weld right after you finish welding, you get to watch the pretty fish, but sometimes the tingle just doesn't go away......make it cccoooolllldddd!!!!"

The books do not give you the experience to make such a so-called "qualified" statement. I for one would rather agree with those who have been there and done it instead of from someone who read what they're trying to explain to me, and their only experience is from what they read.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 08-28-2008 03:52
Spent a fair number of hours myself in the water and have tryed to apply some of the rules that work there to working on the the surface all with varying degrees of success, wearing rubber gloves is one of the best you can also try moving the ground closer to your work area preferably in front of you this offer some degree of success but may or may not work rubber boots are also a good ideal. Sadly though I have always found it easyer to stay shock free under water then above it, but what ever doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 07-14-2008 13:35
Any weldment that is being done to code, or with a low hydrogen process has to be isolated from rain or other means of getting wet in order to prevent cracking. By this I mean you have to prevent water from getting into the weld puddle, or not weld until you can.
I have done and supervised code quality welding on dry weldments while standing in water though. At this point it's more of a sefety concern rather than quality. The best thing to do is utilize a raft or other means of getting out of the water.
The most important and difficult thing (IMHO) when welding in wet conditions is to keep your gloves dry.
If your gloves get wet, you will get shocked.

Tim
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-14-2008 14:15
R Mitchell; AWS Structural Welding Code - D1.1, ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Codes, etc.,

As Tim Gary pointed out, the reasons Codes prohibit welding in wet environments is more a matter of affect on the weldment than Safety although my guess would be code committee also considers safety issues as well.  Further, ANZI Z49.1, the world's PREMIER Welding Safety Standard would also have similar prohibitions.  ANZI Z49.1 was available on AWS Homepage for free download, don't know if it's still there but the AWS Safety and Health fact sheets are still available for free copy on the home page, just type Safety and Health fact sheets in the search section.
Parent - - By danw Date 07-31-2008 04:41
We have about 400 welders here on sight working in very hot conditions where their clothing is totally soaked at all times. I am concerned that they are getting small transient shocks on a regular basis. Is anyone aware of any way to measure such small shocks to find out if they even exist? Reading the other postings it seems that welders get shocked regularly but I am concerned about the small stuff that you don't feel but that can have a longer term cardiac effect.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-31-2008 05:11
Not sure about that danw.  There are, naturally lot's of potential hazards associated with our trades.  I've not read anything about what you enquire.  Also, most definately not intending to derate safety and health but where does it all stop?  In reading your post (very hot conditions), it seems to me that larger concerns would come to my mind first; heat exhaustion, exposure to sun, etc.  Might be an issue worthy of medical study, but I'm not qualified to debate nor discuss long term cardiac effects of transient shocks.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / welding in wet conditions