Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld symbol EN 22553
- - By elam Date 07-02-2008 14:41 Edited 07-02-2008 14:45
Does anybody know what this note on a drawing could mean?

"to weld:  (unknown symbol)  E on each joint parts     Dimensions: 0,7 x minimun thickness of 2 side"

There is no other welding symbol in the entire drawing.
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 07-02-2008 14:50
elam,

have a closer look upon the thread which has been discussed a time ago:

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=71080#pid71080

Perhaps this helps...

Best regards,
Stephan
Parent - - By elam Date 07-02-2008 17:02
Thank you Stephan:

It is a terrific information for undertanding European symbols but I did not find anything like the fillet like with the continuos dash in the middle i posted.

There are not welding simbols in the entire drawings, this is crazy!

Regards

Esteban
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 07-02-2008 21:33
Esteban,

hmmm, you are quite right!

There is absolutely nothing comparable with what you have posted within the EN 22553!

My humble assumption is as follows.

Did the draftsman who has sketched this symbol really know what he/she did?

If he or she has mixed the symbol of a "flat" fillet shape with the symbol for a "fillet" weld in an unacceptable and confusing way, then we might suppose that he/she did mean a "flat fillet cross section" having a throat of 0.7 x t_min.

I would suggest to contact your client to clarify this issue without any further speculation. This safes you time and trouble.

Sorry for not being able to helping you further, but perhaps somebody else is able to crack this nut...

Best regards,
Stephan
Parent - - By elam Date 07-07-2008 22:39
Thank you very much Stephan:

I was thinking similar to you, but as I never saw such a symbol I was wondering if it was a kind of special european exception.

This was my first aws forum, I really appreciate your help.

Regads,

Esteban
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 07-08-2008 12:40
http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Drawing/Weld.html
Maybe this might help you, but I don't see the one you posted on this.
Parent - By Stephan (***) Date 07-31-2008 15:34
esteban,

most likely you have already solved the issue intermediately and surely twice due to the excellent information coming from Milton.

But you know what..?

I have found the symbol you have psoted by having read in an elder (1970's) welding construction textbook today.

The book has dealt with the drawing symbols coming from the "old" German Standard DIN 1912 Part 1 (Fusion Welding).

And voilĂ  there it was!

This drawing symbol has defined a "continuously" welded fillet weld. Interesting is, that it was actually unneeded for all cases which define the exact fillet weld details, i.e. making recognizable e.g. its length, etc. So actually it was rather an exception to find it in the drawings.

However, for all cases a fillet joint had to be welded over the whole length the symbol - as posted by you - could have been used for the drawings.

If you would need it, I could scan the original drawings from the textbook and would pass on these information to you.

But as I said. I am certain it will be rather unnecessary.

O.k. that was all and it was just to complete the thread and for your kind information...

Best regards,
Stephan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld symbol EN 22553