Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / aerospace vs. weld
- - By rjd (*) Date 07-02-2008 20:03
hi guys just want some info on UT inspection for aeropace and UT inspection for welds, pipes, working in the oil rigs stuff in that manner.
money aspects of it mostly. i work in the aerospace industry and i make decent money but its very repetitive i wonder outside of aerospace what can be available for me. dont get me wrong i love my job dont plan on quitting but just outta curiosity. i want to know what other UT inspection jobs and there salary potential. I know being a one trick pony in this field is not good thats the other reason why i ask possibly in the future i want to know more and experience a lot more.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 07-02-2008 20:16
What type of UT are you currently performing?
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-02-2008 20:43
Even in Aerospace, UT is a big subject. There are composites, high end alloys, EMAT, phased array, LAUT, just to name a few. However; in my experience it's predominantly immersion. What I would suggest is you give us a better idea of what your currently doing to give us an idea of where, how, and how much it will translate to. While Aerospace is an insular world, you are likely to see nearly anything elsewhere, or any combination of.  Helps to have a starting point from which to assess.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By rjd (*) Date 07-03-2008 19:18
modified immersion, auto TTU, manual TTU on composites mostly, checking bondlines, metal to core. lets see not much contact with pulse echo. for bond lines i use resonance contact inspection with the fokker.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-03-2008 19:47
TTU usually stands for through transmission. I would like to see a TTU immersion unit. I've used the fokker. It's a nice setup but didn't care much for the a/b scale numerical display. However; it is about as good as you get with UT for carbon fiber honeycomb structures.

If you've got that background, I suggest looking into Power Utilities for Phased array UT. OR PAUT. You may not have done it directly but it should'nt be to much of a stretch for you to understand and implement as I suspect your already dealing with constructive,destructive interference issues, and resonance manipulation. It would'nt be much shorter stretch to understanding how it all forms into a single wave front/steers etc for PA.

What I suggest you do is this. While your at work, consider the physics of what your doing, refresh you mind on the specifics of the exam your doing, then load up this link.
http://www.olympusndt.com/en/ndt-tutorials/intro/whatispa/

Read through it, if you click on the reasoning right away, you'll be good to go for PA.

My opinion for what it's worth,
Gerald
Parent - By rjd (*) Date 07-07-2008 19:26
thank you
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / aerospace vs. weld