Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Check my work out!
- - By Macc53 (*) Date 07-03-2008 01:20
Here is some pictures of work I have done over the last few months. http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn289/macc53/  I do a lot of pipe work with irrigation but would like to learn more about it and the code work. Tell me what you all think. I do all the fitting and welding on 95% of the stuff you see. Do get some help with fitting once in a while. If you only knew how much I got paid would make most of you all sick. really LOVE to weld and want to make more money at it.

Also some practive welds on 5" sch40 pipe with 1/8" 6010 downhand at about 82 amps on a XMT 350. On the XMT 350 there is a arc control not sure what it does to be honest but with it set at about 50 seems to work the best. What is the best way for me to practice, Should I be welding out 6" sch 40 or would 16" .5" wall be better?

Where I live in washington st there is not a lot of pipeline work. Most is done at Hanford(nucular cleanup) or a paper mills. so kinda hard to find someone that is a pipe welder to help me out. What I want to know is what is the procedure to weld out a 6" pipe. Prep, Rod size, amps and position? Is there a way to test my self after finishing up a nice weld?

Any and all info would be awsome from you great people.

Gary
Parent - By texwelder (***) Date 07-03-2008 02:19
Nice work, where are you workin? I didn't think there was that kinda of work in irrigation systems
Parent - By cmays (***) Date 07-03-2008 02:28
Gary,
good looking work. Id be charging just as much for that type of work as I would for oilfield work. Keep using that type of work as practice for future pipe work. You seem to have a good grasp on the fitting end and that in it self is a hudge plus when you want to get into any type of pipe work. Looks good....keep posting pics.
Parent - By djm1987 (**) Date 07-03-2008 03:19
Where u at in washington? I live there myself. Lots of pipewelders there, and a few pipeliners. Who u working for?
Parent - - By Macc53 (*) Date 07-03-2008 04:12
I live in Walla Walla County southeastern part of the state. Work for Dunning Irrigation our of Touchet Washington.  Thanks for all the great things you are saying, makes me feel I am moving in the right direction.

Allways looking to further my experience in welding so if there is some pipe welding jobs near me would love to know about them.

Gary
Parent - - By djm1987 (**) Date 07-03-2008 04:31
i thought that work looked familar. I was through there last friday visiting family in touchet. Im a pipewelder i live in tricities. What is Dunning paying? Do they contract out any of thier work or do it all in house?
Parent - By MetalFinagler (*) Date 07-03-2008 04:55
I'm from the tri-cities as well. Hows the job market looking there right now? I'm in oklahoma for about another year then I'll be moving back there.
Parent - By Macc53 (*) Date 07-03-2008 05:04
All work is in house. They do not contract out any welding outside the company. Pay is below average I would say, they would rather pay low and give you 60 hours a week to make up for it.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-03-2008 11:58 Edited 07-03-2008 12:03
Nice stuff! Looks real good. You should be getting a good wage for this. Could you work on your own & do a lot better? I know you had said that they do everything in house. Are there opps for you to do this for other companies as well? Don't let these guys keep shortchanging you, you're a LOT better than a junk hack. Keep working on those roots & you'll get better & better. Looks to me you got a handle on it & you should be paid what you're worth. Excellent! Best of luck! S.W.
Parent - - By Macc53 (*) Date 07-03-2008 13:25
Just wondering what should somone doing the work I have pictures of be paid? $13,15,18?

do you think I have enough skills to get a job with a company that does pipe contracting eather as fitter, welders helper or welder?

Gary
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-03-2008 14:00
Hi Gary. I'm not a pipe guy, but scale around here union & non is around $20-36 per hr. Of course, every state is different. Independent pipeline with your own rig is an entirely different pay scale too. I would say (just pallparking) You're work there is easily worth $20+. And that's a LOW end guess, just basing that on what a non union general contractor would most likely be paying people HERE in Michigan. It takes skill to make all those fit ups you're doing & it looks to me like you know your stuff in that dept. :-)

You should have no problem getting on as a fitter somewhere, at the very minimum. Your skills far exceed someone doing the rough grinding & dirty work! The fitters union here is taking guys on & white carding them (Journeyman's pay scale) if they have bone fide experience & can do the work in the field. I don't know the pipe field very well, only what I've gathered here & in school on ASME sch 80 for class.

All I'm saying, is that you do some good work, Gary & if you're employer knows it, they should be treating you real well. That's why I asked regarding doing it as an independent. But then you got to have all the equipment, liability ins. & that stuff. If you're willing to travel, there's lots of pipe work out there. With the skill you have in fit up, it will surely be an asset to a contractor that hires you. Good luck. Steve.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Check my work out!