Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / what do you think
- - By raptor34 (**) Date 07-03-2008 02:19
I recently went out to work for a customer and while working for them i did 4 different jobs. On the first job we had a 2 hour drive and worked for 9 hours and i charged 11 hours, we left that job and drove a half hour and worked for 2 hours and charged 8, which is the minimum. I then went back to the location of the first job and tested a welder and he failed and i charged 8 hours, again the minimum, I left location and drove about 5 miles and they asked me to return to test another welder I returned passed the welder and charged 8 hours then drove the 2 hours back to the office, total time on the job was about 19 hours, the total charges came to 35 hours. Every job i did had a different PO#.  We had an agreement that since I am not a cwi any welder test i gave, I could charge 8 hours to make up for the added liability which was normaly charged to the contractor but the contractor lacked a PO# so they cleared us billing directly to the customer. The customer hasnt said anything but my boss didnt like the idea of charging 35 hours in a day. What do you think?
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 07-03-2008 03:51
raptor34,
I am loathe to comment as I am from the southern hemisphere and I am not sure how things operate in the states however it does seem strange.
If you are working for the same customer for 1 day I can't see how you can charge anymore than the hours you actually worked.
Not sure what you mean by "added liability" ?
If they are hiring a CWI then they would be expected to pay CWI rates, if you are not a CWI then they shouldn't be paying CWI rates.
My 10c worth,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By new tito (***) Date 07-03-2008 13:47
I think you're giving the customer the shaft.  Doesn't seem like good business practice to be charging an 8hr minimum for each different job, just becuase it has a different PO# and at a different location...especially if it's all on the same day.

I would be furious if I called an NDT company to do some work, and if that work happened to be for 3 different jobs, they charged me 8hrs on each ticket if it only took them 2 hours for each task.

You worked 19hrs for them, you charge 19 hours.  Seems like the 8hr minimum should only apply to day rates, not each job.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-03-2008 14:03 Edited 07-03-2008 17:27
What the HE**?

"We had an agreement that since I am not a cwi any welder test i gave, I could charge 8 hours to make up for the added liability which was normaly charged to the contractor"

It sounds to me like these people have no clue what they are getting themselves into. They need welders certified/tested and there is mention of liablity, yet they choose to utilize you to do this testing with no mention of an independant tesing agency.

It is very rare for testing/certification to be required not have a CWI in te loop somewhere. This REEKS of bad things to come.

But if that is the deal they agreed to, then charge them what was agreed on. They sound iggnorant enough to pay that price for someone who is not AWS CWI.

I would be willing to bet that this going to BLOW UP in someones face someday. This sounds too fishy to me, too many red flags. Buckle up, it may be a bumpy ride!

Is this code work? If so, what code?

jrw159
Parent - By raptor34 (**) Date 07-07-2008 21:37 Edited 07-07-2008 22:00
We used 1104, B31.3, sec.IX, and UW-52
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 07-03-2008 17:11
Wait, you get to charge *more* because you're missing a credential??

Hg
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-03-2008 17:33
No, AWS CWI just took a big jump in cost. My rates just went up!!!

What a joke!! LOL

Something is wrong with this situation!

I have a sneaking suspicion that someone is going to get "HAMMERED" and then "SPANKED"

A nickles worth of free advice: Check the contract spec's to see what if any code is applicable.

jrw159
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-03-2008 19:33 Edited 07-03-2008 20:54
Whay do people think they have to have a third party get involved with welder testing. Not only is it not required, in some cases its even prohibited. For ASME work, only the manufaturer is responsible responsible. Regadless of who else witnesses the test, they (the manufacturer) must witness the test.

From ASME Sec IX ..... The purpose
of this requirement is to ensure that the manufacturer
or contractor has determined that his welders and welding
operators using his procedures are capable of developing
the minimum requirements specified for an acceptable
weldment. This responsibility cannot be delegated to
another organization.

On the other issue. I think it is unethical. In situations such as that, I let other parties know the situation and try to compensate myself for any addition travel between jobs etc..

(Edit) HOWEVER- That does not stop other professionals from charging high "Minimums" regardless of how long they work on something. I am not judging you at all. As with many things, we may not know the whole situation. If my boss told me to charge a minimum, I would.(End of edit)

The purpose of charging a minimum is to compensate for clearing a schedule in case a 1 hour job turns to a 8 hour job and I have to cancel another trip. I therefore do not schedule any other work on a day that I think it may run over.

Just my opinion.

The liability issue makes my brain hurt to comprehend what is being said.
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-03-2008 23:25
I have signed tickets with an X-Ray company recently. They came on on job and shot 4 4 inch welds. They drove to a tank and did PT and MT on one 2 inch coupling. They then drove out the gate and shot a 8 inch tie in.
Total time on site 5 hours. 
Ticket time 24 hours. Every change gets a 8 hour minimum. The only thing missing was not charging me OT after the first 8 and three days sub.
If you raise the issue with the contractor, they tell you you should try someone else. Oh that's right the MSA is with them so you have to use them.
BABRt's
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-04-2008 00:23
BigK,
  By your description I would have to think there is a "CERTIFIED" inspector in the mix.

Would this be incorrect?

jrw159
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-04-2008 17:33
A Level II and a helper
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-07-2008 12:04
Level II,....  thats a cert. :-)

And then there is your involvement, as a certified inspector,I am sure.

jrw159
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-07-2008 23:42
Nope, I am PM on the job. Heard'n cats!
I call for the NDT, and they do the work. I review the film for the proper IQI's make sure there are no artifacts on the film and sign the reader sheet. I dont even visual the welds. I watch the contractor visual the welds then sign off he has done the visual inspection, check off the weld map.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-08-2008 01:14
Is your position required?

jrw159
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-08-2008 22:52
I heard the cats. I have to have the next craft ready to go when one is finished, keep the total job book and referee fist fights, My job goes from kickoff to completion. Sort of a field project manager but with the duties of heard'n cats.
My big responsibility is safety. The project has a 0 lost time goal. While things are really good in the oil patch, the average worker is about as smart as a sack of hammers. I have 4 different crafts, electrical, painting, welding and laborers. 4 different contractors, 2 union, 2 non-union.
I love showing up as there is no end to the fun. It is not physically demanding, except for when you want to choke the carp out of a foreman and run off every worker he has. But I have a great welding contractor and they make my life easy on the welding part.
BABRT's
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-08-2008 23:29
Nice...

I am sure it stays interesting. I like things like that better than the repetitive stuff. :-)

Take care,
jrw159
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-07-2008 11:34
"From ASME Sec IX ..... The purpose
of this requirement is to ensure that the manufacturer
or contractor has determined that his welders and welding
operators using his procedures are capable of developing
the minimum requirements specified for an acceptable
weldment. This responsibility cannot be delegated to
another organization"

"Not only is it not required, in some cases its even prohibited."
Your right, in regards to whats a legal welder qual. (unless your doing a PED)
In regards to why people ask for a third party, Thats driven by insurance companies. Why is it driven? For the same reason state radiography cards are required or better, or central certs for NDE etc. To many things have went boom, when things go boom, insurance and governments start getting nervous and concerned.
There is nothing prohibiting a third party witness. Therein lies the problem with mom and pop wanna be third parties. They all get the idea they are accept or reject, they are not. A third parties sole purpose in life is to witness the process, record what they see, and report their findings to whomever contracted them. This mentality that a third party has accept or reject authority is flawed. Now the people they report to can take action, but not the third party themselves. The insurance company can refuse insurance, the government agency can refuse licenses, etc. but the third party cannot do any of the above, they are simply the eyes of the contracting agency.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-07-2008 12:00 Edited 07-07-2008 12:08
We may be talking about different types of insurance companies. I Have only dealt with two or three in the boiler repair business. Factory Mutual and Hartford. I have never come across a case where they required 3rd part involvement. This is just for discussion.

If an insurance company requires a fabricator to have a 3rd party involved, who is insuring the 3rd party ? All the manufacturer is doing is reporting too. What makes a 3rd party "independent" . Management, Money, Ethics?

What makes a 3rd party more likely to assure that work is done correctly. They won't be there to supervise or manage the actual work that could go boom.

In my opinion, in some cases the more eyes you have sharing "responsibility" the more blind eyes you can have . I have seen a few test labs that would pretty much do whatever the customer (fabricator) wanted when challenged or questioned. Those same test labs and others would charge $500 for a 1/2" thick PQR with bends and tensiles only along with a written WPS. They would never tell the fabricator that they could perform the test specimens, do t hier own bends and send the tensiles in for $50.00 and prepare their own documentation after receiving the tensile results.

It makes me wonder, is the test lab "helping" the client ! Many do but some may take advantage of them because of the misconception that the 3rd party is "required".

[Edit] In my opinion a documented, implemented, and auditable quality system that shows a companies policy of monitoring quality and compliance is a clear indicator of their intent to do the right thing. A 3rd party involvement for welder or procedure qualification is so small compared to that. [end of edit]
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-07-2008 13:08
Nothing makes a third party more likely to assure the work is done correctly. However; It is my personal experience having worked for IACS corporations are as close as your going to get for this. Testing labs in my opinion are not 3rd party for which you've made my case for me. "I have seen a few test labs that would pretty much do whatever the customer (fabricator) wanted when challenged or questioned"

When you start getting into the international market that is where will usually find requirements for a true third party. These companys receive their pay from Governments and companies such as LLoyds of london. You can put a "3rd" party tag on a donkey, but it doesn't make that donkey a 3rd party.

A testing lab is not nor will ever be 3rd party in my eyes. They think they are, but they are not.

The only other form of verification is industry SME verification. Someone with a detailed enough background so as their testimony will stand up in court, U.S. or international. The term SME paints a broader stroke than a 3rd party, but in many cases will suffice for the need.

Even between governments and insurance agencies, it is the governments that drive it more so. Especially S. America and Europe. G.L., B.V., and DNV all originated in Europe, and those countries effectively gave them their authority as a third party.

I suggest you do is some research into IACS.  Mom and pop test lab they are not. 3rd parties are not codes although in many cases their recommendations have a habit of finding their way into code, national laws, and international regulations and law. (DNV, ABS, etc)
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-07-2008 13:35
Regardless of the size of the "test lab" it is not required in many cases.

I will have to ask to be excused of my ignorance. Is this the IACS you speak of ? http://www.iacs.org.uk/ . I figure that was it in the context of ABS and Lloyds. (Both of which I welded unter the inspection of without retest during my time in the Navy) Those merchant marine ships eat good !

I understand the differences in "international Markets" and those markets regulated by a governing body or jurisdictional law.

Does IACS certify welders ? Does LLoyds ? How about ABS? If Lloyds pays an organization to audit a system are they more of a 3rd party than if a fabricator does ?

Doesn't the end liability always fall to the manufacturer/builder. Though Lloyds may cover the loss based upon a failure, will they continue coverage for the fabricator/shipbuilder? What if its a startup shipbuilder. Or do they drop em like a south mississippi home owner!

I think we agree that the so called "3rd party" is a trickey creature to be handled with care and watched closely . I have been the third party and you can be sure that many times the owner/purchaser does NOT want to know what you see when it can affect the schedule of a power plant schedule. I have written NCR's that have cost me a project. Well documented and co-signed NCR's.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-07-2008 14:42
Under no circumstances I am aware of do any of them certify welders. As I said, they survey only, and yes, the end liability falls to the manufacture builder usually. However; there are many instances were that is not good enough.
Loydds of london is an insurance agency, not to be confused with lloyds register, or germanischer lloyds. None of them have direct ties to each other.
GL, BV ABS etc are typically contracted by a governmental agency or Insurance agency such as loydds of london.

IACS companies got their starts in maritime however; they now cover LNG sites, refineries, in some cases nuclear plants, bridges etc. and of course shipping, classifying ships etc. You need to look further into companies. http://www.gl-group.com/industrial/glo/4830.htm for instance. GL won't reject something, but they won't certify it either and will write a pile of NCR's if needed assuming it doesn't meet the specifications and government regulations.

"I have been the third party" I would call what you describe as third party to be SME verification.

The one thing we agree on is the term "3rd" party is a tricky business, and in my opinion is headed toward centralization because of the mis-use of the term.
Just like AWS, ASNT, and others, It was the people in place at the time of the need that ended up by default being the recognized authority. I foresee a time coming when IACS becomes the defacto standard organization for certification of "3rd parties" because they build on other groups like API, AWS etc. GL for instance does not send out surveyors that are not certified, nor do not have a detailed SME background. Nor does BV or others.
My money is on IACS for those reasons since they've set themselves up a couple of tiers above the other organizations, and since they are the only recognized international organization to perform the function. AWS and others are market specific and therefor have a conflict of interest in that they obviously will favor their own code over say ASME etc. Therein is the need for independence, and the basis for which the IACS companies have set themselves up above the level as it's hard to verify objectively a code you have written. If all people were honorable and skilled, and took pride in their work, SME's 3rd parties, nor even inspectors or examiners would not be needed. Unfortunetly that is not the case, and therefore the rising need, which will drive the effort for an organization to step up and create a centralized third party certification. It's just a matter of time in my opinion.

To say billy bobs test lab is a 3rd party is wrong. At best they are 2nd party.
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 07-04-2008 01:50
raptor34,
35 hours in a day??  Keep that pace up and you can probably gross seven figures this year!! Go for it!! :)
Parent - - By strat (**) Date 07-04-2008 17:48
am i missing something,he failed one welder and then passed one welder but is not a CWI. Did i study my but off for many ,many months and pay xxxx.xx to become a CWI and if i so choosed just to test welders that i
spent all that time and effort and xxxx.xx for nothing.
Maybe i'm missing something
I hope anyway
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 07-04-2008 18:10
Strat,
Of course it was worth something.  By earning your CWI you were taught about ethics and integrety.  You know better than to charge 35 hours in a day and come on the forum and brag about it. 
Parent - - By raptor34 (**) Date 07-07-2008 21:57
First of all im not bragging about charging that much i was just wondering what everybody thought. And integrity and ethics? you charge by your contracts dont you?  Lets say you work for Acme oil, you shoot a weld in a code shop for the refinery division, you then drive to a different state and shoot some welds on Acme oils pipeline. you then drive to yet another location and test 2 welders that the contractors pay for. I dont feel i have done anything ethically wrong.  As for the cwi part I am a vt level 2, the company has the set procedure to which they test, i then come in after and look at the weld to see if it meets the visual requirements and if it meets visual requirements i then x-ray the test to check to see if it meets the radiographic requirements. and no they have no cwis on staff, they have no intention of having a cwi present, they do not want one nor will they pay for one. so i takr it johnnyh you are the kind of guy who charges 35 hours and keeps it hush hush instead of asking someone when you have a question. 
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 07-08-2008 01:30
Raptor34,
No, I am not the "kind of guy" who charges 35 hours in a day and says nothing about it.  I earn my salary.  You already admitted that your boss didnt like it so isn't his opinion pretty important?!?!  I apologize for questioning your integrity, though.  I can't dog a man for getting his money.  But I bet I wouldn't be signing that ticket.  Sometimes it is better to err on the side of caution.
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 07-08-2008 01:41 Edited 07-08-2008 02:03
Oh, and for your last sentence about me keeping it "hush, hush" instead of asking a question.....what good was asking your question after you turned in your time???  I try to ask questions before hand so if I am wrong I can change it.  I am sure after reading the responses from our forum that you may reconsider charging that in the future.  Maybe it wont come back to bite you in the azz.  Who knows?

Serenity Now

John
Parent - - By raptor34 (**) Date 07-08-2008 02:46
contracts are contracts, i was wanting opinions on this contract and i got them, you obviously have some contracts that dont favor you and that makes you cry doesnt it, while my office makes close to 57% profit you must be one of those guys who under bids and scrapes by by a rats nut hair
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-08-2008 03:31
Buddy, you got it right.

"Contracts are contracts"

This may go south at some point in time, or not, but as long as you cover your ass, you will be OK.

And if they are dumb enough to pay you for those services with your reveiled and described credentials, then take thier dumb a**es to the cleaners.

You know what they say, "ONE born every minute"

As long as you can hold your head high, and sleep well at night, that is ALL that matters. :-)

Good luck in your future,
jrw159
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 07-08-2008 03:42
Was that one sentence?  What makes me cry?? I guarantee my job doesnt make me cry.  I am not going to sit here and compare jobs with you.  Thats not my style.  That is good that your company makes 57% profit.  That is something to be proud of. 

John
Parent - - By mountainman (***) Date 07-08-2008 21:35
raptor, if you determined after everything had been taken into consideration that you did not think it was fair or ethically justified, are you in a position that enables you to change the way your outfit charges?
Parent - - By raptor34 (**) Date 07-08-2008 23:03
im not the office manager if thats what you are asking, but i do have some say in the way we charge on some customers but most of them i am not.
Parent - By mountainman (***) Date 07-10-2008 16:15
the only reason i asked is because i think it must of struck a guilt nerve with you in order for you to ask opinions on the matter. i do not judge, i observe and ask questions. nothing other than that is intended.

JJ
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 07-06-2008 02:01
I wonder if the IRS or some other gov't agency has anything to say about that?

I don't know about your customers but I can tell you I was "not impressed" when one person we contracted charged out 8 hours + 1 hour OT.  They charge an 8 hour minimum including portal to portal.  I figure 2 hours both ways and 1.5 - OK I'll call it 2 hours- of actual time on site; 6 hrs altogether.  On top of that the mileage was "just a bit" over the actual distance from his shop to ours.  I refused to pay for the OT.
This guy's coworker was much better.  He was on site about 6 hours - charged 8- and had done such a thorough job that I told him I would have paid the OT.

I also agree with Hg's comment - it doesn't seem right to charge more because you lack a cert.  I can't see that there's a difference in liability.  If any of the welds produced by the tested welders failed, the onus is on the welder's employer and not you.  All you are doing is certifying that the welders passed the tests, and the testing was, in your opinion, in accordance with some code.  You are not guaranteeing a welder will not produce a weld that fails.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / what do you think