Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Questions about AWS D1.1
- By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-03-2008 21:35 Edited 07-03-2008 21:40
I've been working on getting my AWSD1.1 qualification recently. I've done MIG at a tech school and did my plate tests in all positions. Been welding as a part of my job for the last 13 years(heavy equipment mech-repair buckets and other junk). I'm tired of the mechanic profession and enjoy doing handrails, stairs and such, makes me think with all the angles and so on. I guess the fixin of caddys, CATs and other just got boring...not challenging enough for the most part.

I did a vertical up test on some old 3/8 plate with some 1/8 welding rod that has been around for some months without an oven. I was able to bend the root and had a 1/16th crack in the base of the weld but not where the weld meets the base metal. Felt proud of myself since I've never attempted this operation with the stick. I have a bunch of experience with the MIG and generally my cap pass is like a half moon kinda thing. The teacher at the tech school(when I was doing some stick) had me do a "D" type of cap. I just don't like it but when I did my vertical up with the stick I felt the motion was already there so I did the cap like that(half moon), I guess I felt comfortable. I saw on here somebody mentioned doing stringers for the whole weld, I was under the impression I needed to do a cap pass? Does this mean I can do stringers? It's the AWSD1.1 prequal with 7018 in vertical up and overhead up to 3/4 plate, not going unlimited..........yet??

My next question is about the fillet weld procedure using 1/2 plate and 1/8 7018. I get a great looking and strong root pass and then I grind off the hump, slag so I have a good surface(the guy who is gonna bend my plates says the grinder is my friend...use it) When I do my second pass I'm at a 45 degree angle around 115-120 amps on my miller thunderbolt using my mig welder weave type of motion and I get good penetration on the top and on the bottom.....well, it usually stinks with an occassional "ohhh, hey look I did good there!" Actually my first couple times were at a lower voltage. When I screwed up the first side of my plate I flipped it and tried again this time I'm sure around 120. I had to play with my angle a bit to avoid undercutting at the top but then I realized I was doing a different motion and went back to my mig thing. I still had a problem with the bottom not penetrating and globbing up and generally looking like doo-doo....or something like what a dirt dobber would do. I'm thinking it's my position/angle of approach, I'm using Lincoln Excalibur 1/8 rod if that matters. Also, the slag pools up and interferes at the bottom, I noticed that today while in the shop working on it, but if I speed up a little bit I can keep ahead. The weld when I got done after speeding up did not look like a "row of dimes" as the teacher put it so I'm wondering if that would be considered bad.....or if I'm striving for ultimate perfection...........which I have been accused of at times.

The test procedures I have shows just the size of the plates for both, nothing about how it has to be welded other than my three positions, vertical up, overhead and my fillet weld. Any and all info from you experienced folks would be appreciated.....oh yeah, by the way I'm new here.

Shawn
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Questions about AWS D1.1