Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / HELP:COMMITING MY LIFE TO WELDING?
- - By GregHeip Date 07-03-2008 21:52
Hey, my name's Greg and I'm new to this great forum.

I have some important questions for you guys because I'm at the point in my life where I need to make a decision about my future.  I'm not sure if I want to go to the local community college and get a general business degree to work in an office...or if I should pursue welding school.

I know that getting by with welding takes a LOT of experience and work.  So before I commit to anything, I'd like to know from you experienced guys what its like to be a "real" welder?  I love this kind of work, but I don't want to run head first into a bad situation, and frankly, I'm scared I'll make the wrong choice.  So please be honest with me!  I appreciate your help.

I'd like to know what frustrates you guys everyday?  What are the hassles I'll be having to put up with?

What makes you guys angry?

If I become a welder, what kinds of things will I have to be worrying about in bed everynight while trying to fall asleep? (you know, with eyes staring blankly at the ceiling, indigestion boiling up in my esophogas, etc)? 

And...will these worries/frustrations be worth it in the end?

And on the other hand...what do you guys gain in satisfaction, enjoyment, and financial return from welding?

Thank you for your insights and advice to anybody who can help me out.  It will make a difference in my future!

Have a great 4th of July.

Greg
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 07-03-2008 23:00
Hello Greg!
Welcome to the forum! WOW, that was a heavy question! I knew I would be a weldor since I was a kid. I would certainly rather be on a jobsite filled with like minded people than pushing a pencil. My necktie is a starched Carhartt.I couldnt imagine staying inside everyday in a cubicle or something. I LOVE WHAT I DO! I am proud of who and what I am. But thats ME and MY way of thinking.
The money is widely varied. You can make a comfortable living in time.
So far the only harm to my health are the scars on my skin. Saves money. No need for tattoos!
As said, I love what I do. But I can blabber all day about it. There are some intelligent and insightful people on here who can give you a better answer than I can. I guess I will that some of them do that. Whatever you decide, I hope its satisfying. Welcome to the forum!! Happy 4th!
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-04-2008 02:56
The biggest problem I seem to have with welding, is that it's burned up a lot of my tattoos! hehe :-) S.W.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-03-2008 23:10
When I am welding I sleep good at night. Though I may have a cough or spell slightly charred skin, I sleep GOOD.

I have gone back and forth over the years as a welder and inspector or manager. As far as headaches and decisions, very few for me as a welder. Sometimes the biggest decision I have to make is weather I want to go find some cardboard to lay on or "Just Waller In It".

Of course this guys take on it is worth reading. There is a great deal of truth regarding what he speaks. http://www.belch.com/welcome-to-world-wide-welding/

Myself, I drop the hood, its just me an the fire. No worries about codes, specs, what I missed, what I misinterpreted, blah blah.  Just me and the fire. It makes the day go by nicely sometimes.

Right now I sit in front of this box during the day and I miss welding a great deal.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 07-04-2008 03:37
thanks for the link Gerald, I agree theres alot of truth in there, BUT, some of the smartest people I know are weldersz(I would like to think I know smart people).
another thing to take into consideration is the fact that 1 mistake or equipment failure can cost you a limb or a life, but that applies to anything, you just get more opportunities to make that 1 mistake or have that 1 failure working around steel.
Parent - - By brightblue (**) Date 07-07-2008 19:13
I went to that Belch website and read the fairly small 'About' bio he wrote about himself.

He says he's a 'cyber-security' expert. Well, as an IT person I can tell you that is a broad reaching term. Too bad he wasn't specific. And for a guy with a college education and a great career, he's not really driving a car  that represents any huge jump in salary between shipyard welder and 'cyber-geek' as one would expect. His truck looks more high school graduation gift than professional propellor-head. ( Not that I'm saying there's anything wrong with the model of truck or make btw - just that someone making big bucks generally chooses as much car as they can afford ).

A ditch digger might refer to themselves as a 'terra firma relocator' in order to impress others and assuage their own insecurities about their work. An entry level network administrator might do the same. For example, if they happen to change user passwords once a month and do some network updating, ( an extremely easy task for most elementary school kids with a little pc curiosity to do btw ), they might say they do 'cyber-security' to a group they assume is technology illiterate in order to sound more impressive than they really are.

I can't possibly understand his reasons for targeting welding and welding only. I wouldn't be surprised though to find out he'd never actually been a welder but rather was going to school to get his A+ and MCSE certs ( MCSE = Must Consult Someone Else ) and perhaps a welder called him a sissy or something. Or, maybe he actually was a welder and hated it, but that doesn't explain his ferocity in totality.

I can understand becoming sick and tired of being hot and dirty or deciding a career field wasn't what you thought it would be. Just because a person becomes  a welder doesn't mean they have to stay a welder. There's no law about that and he might've made that choice; but it's unfortunate that he feels a continual need to congratulate his choices by degrading the choices of others.

BTW, one of my uncles was a shipyard welder for over 30 years. He did die, around the age of 80, but it wasn't welding related. He wasn't a foul mouthed stereotype either but one of the nicest people I've ever known.
Parent - By 65 Pipeliner (**) Date 07-07-2008 22:52
"Stupid Welders?" I personally don't think this guy has the where-with-all to go put in an honest days work for an honest days wage. Most people I know wouldn't stay in a job that was that misereable for 5 years. My first job (for now) is a full time firefighter (19 years now) and my second job is my welding business. We have firemen that are the same way. It's too hot, it's too cold, it's raining, etc., etc. They just need to be weeded out like the people in other lines of work that are here for just a paycheck. Just my opinion, worth what you paid to get it. Chris
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-09-2008 12:00
His colorful descriptions seem to describe some conditions I have seen and heard about. Its all about perception. There is some truth to what he says.

Have a nice day

Gerald
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-04-2008 02:00 Edited 07-04-2008 02:08
Hi Greg. Welcome!

It's really all about what you are accustomed to doing now & what kind of work you like to do. Both career fields you are contemplating are drastically & completely different from one another. One is a job in an office setting, clean, climate controlled, but with it's own worries & stresses, the other usually in dirty, hot surroundings & usually long hours on a regular basis. There are literally hundreds of different facets of welding work, so to speak in an all encompassing generality would be of no benefit in trying to give you an accurate view into the world of welding.

I would seriously do some first hand research (like you're doing right now) & supplement that with perhaps a trip to some local factories or places of manufacturing (if available) & straight out ask for a brief tour. Most places would probably be happy to show you around, being the circumstances involved. That would be a very simple & free way to get a little glimpse into what a weldor does for a living. But, you will also need to take into consideration that there are SO many different kinds of welding jobs, & a couple of field trips will barely scratch the surface. I will say, that going to a few places that build stuff will most likely give you view of a more production (usually long hours & dirty) type of welding, as opposed to a very precision type, such as TIG, Aerospace & pipe welding.

Your local comm. coll. will also offer beginning courses in welding. These will usually focus on shop safety, use of a cutting torch, gas welding, brazing & some beginning arc welding with stick electrodes. You will also receive classroom instruction about safety, different types & processes of welding, basic welding theory, the manufacture of steel & manufacturing processes involving welding. It would be another good way to learn about welding & get some informative instruction as well as hands on experience in an environment tailored towards learning.

I did see that you do have some familiarity with the work welding's about, but you will really have to do some looking at a lot of different types of welding to really get some first hand insight. Some welding pays excellent, (pipe, aerospace, nuclear) some (usually production welding) pays poorly & it's hot filthy work. A lot also depends on your geographical location. If you want to make big money, travel constantly  & work 80+ hours a week, cross country pipe is where the money's at. If you want to make $12 an hour & work 80+ hours a week, go into MIG production welding. Again, lots of different fields & pay scales, just depending on the place & job.

Stick around and become part of the "gang". There's a lot of excellent people around here to give you a little insight as well as some good conversation & a few laughs too. Again, welcome. Steve

"Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside.." (Karn Evil 9 1st. Impression, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Brain Salad Surgery LP)
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 07-04-2008 05:29 Edited 07-04-2008 05:32
Hassels are putting up with QCs that don't know the code that you're welding to; company men that will do what ever, when ever, as long as it gets them ahead; and engineers that , no matter what they gave you, it's your fault the part or spool piece (pipe), didn't work.

What makes me angry is when they aint got work for you to do, but don't want you standing around so your foreman can find you, and when they want you to do something that you know aint right but they want you to do it anyway.

When you become a welder, don't worry about the job on your own time, you'll become old fast if you do. When I leave the jobsite, I don't think about it at all. My time is mine and the time their paying me for is theirs, simple as that.  Usually the test is what most people worry about, treat it like another weld. Do your best and it'll work out.

The worries and frustrations are totally worth it in the end. You get to see what you've accomplished at the days end and have pride in what you've done. Totally worth anything that you go through.

I love what I do. It's all I know and all I think about. The compensation is great but in the end, if you don't like your job, you might as well be doing something else. Doing what you like/love will give you more satisfaction at the end of the day than doing something that you hate day in and out, no matter what you make. I'd hate to have a job where I dreaded going to everyday because you've already started off bad and the day just gets worse from then on. If you like what you do then you'll excell at it, if you don't, you'll never get ahead of the game.
Parent - - By sqiggy (**) Date 07-04-2008 14:25
Well Greg, in the world of welding, there are many avenues.
Do you want to work at home, say at a shop or a manufacture plant?
Do you want to travel and work the const jobs and shutdowns?
Do you want to have your own rig and be your own boss or follow the pipelines?
Do you want to work long hours, weekends, holidays, and on times, nights?
Do you like very cold weather?
Do you like hot, hot days?
Do you like money?
As far as school, I wished I had went on and got my Bach. degree. There has been a job or 2 that has come up in the "welding field" that required some type of degree. A welding instructor for one. My advice to you, get all the schooling you can now, cuz once you leave, it's so hard to go back later.
As far as the "sleepless nites", always leave your work at work, no matter what line of work you do. When I punch that clock, I don't even think it about it till I clock back in the next day.
As far as the good, bad, and ugly. Getting started. Everybody wants experience. If you must, (I did), lie your way thru till you get a few jobs under your belt. Working with a helper that has been hired as a Fitter. Boss'es that wanted it done YESTERDAY!!!
When you're under that hood, your in your own little world. Ask advice from the seasoned vet's and they will show you the "tricks of the trade"!! My saying is, "Those who CAN, WELD!!! Those who can't, FIT!!!" LOL!!
Parent - By arrowside (**) Date 07-04-2008 14:40
The problems with QC's, engineers, suckholes, and bosses were mentioned above, but you know what? Show me a "job" where you won't run into that. If there was job where those problems didn't exist, there wouldn't be any openings. You just need to not let that stuff get in the way of YOUR career.

I got my A.A.S. degree in welding technology when I was 20. I had two yrs of welding in high school prior to that. I have always had a job since the day i started welding.

I'm 35 now, bought my home when I was 26, am now married and have two boys. My wife doesn't have to work. I got my CWI in January of this year.

The point that I'm trying to put across here is that as long as you are willing to learn, and not have the " I know it all " attitude, there are no limits as to what you can do with welding. You will never stop learning in the field of  welding, unless you choose to do so.

BTW, had I not been as hard headed as I was when I was younger, I would be even better off. But then again, I wouldn't trade those life lessons for anything.
Parent - By philgood (*) Date 07-04-2008 16:15
Hello Greg. Let me tell you about a friend of mine who had to make a similar choice. He did janitorial work and realized that he wouldn't go far like that, so he decided to go to a local commnity college to get some kind of degree. Business is what he chose, not knowing where this would take him at the time. So he got his degree in busines and now owns a billing company which does all the billing for hospitals and doctors, and there is still a need for more people like this out there. He drives around in a new porche and lives in a big beautiful home and his future is very much secure. Remember, this was a janitor which now has people working for him. I've been a pipewelder for 20 years and even though i make pretty good money when i am working i still seem to struggle most of the time making ends meet. Right now work is pretty good but there is not always work out there for everybody. Welding is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. You finish up one job then it is time to find another job. Lots of long hard hours and never at home. I am thinking about going back to school myself for business, they say it is never to late, Don't be discouraged. Follow your heart and the money follow. Good luck!
Parent - By zach benefield (*) Date 07-05-2008 00:14
well, greg welcome
i always knew that i would be a welder my dad, his brother, my brother and i r all rig welders i have chased shutdowns, drilling rigs and follewed pipelines i sleep good at nights now when i first started i would stay up a little tring to figure out a problem that i was having but that is me and i push myself hard but if u r going to chase shutdown it would be ezer if r a singel man as far as the money i make 65 an hour and i get to stay at home every night but it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter but i do love what i do i cant see myself doing anything else, i did go to school 

best for luck
zach 
Parent - - By Jeffrey Grady (***) Date 07-05-2008 04:23 Edited 07-05-2008 04:45
Greg,
You certainly have put alot on the table for consideration. I believe many have posted and have given some very sound advice/suggestions.

I will put it to you from the perspective of a 42yr old Man who has been going to welding school ( and working in the field a bit)....Go to school for welding for at least one semester to see if You really want to be a professional welder. The allure of Big $$ is something that you will have to put aside for a little while. That will all come in due time. The love for the Trade is what matters most at this stage in your search for a career. Welding is something that gets in your blood and it is very addictive. That's been my experience. If after some technical training, You find you love it...get all the education you can and seek out a job in the trade while continuing your schooling. Most community colleges offer their welding courses at night. This will afford you the time to work a day job. it's easier to learn the trade while getting  OJT and school courses. Just mt $.02 worth.
Respectfully, Jeffrey Grady

PS. welcome to the forum and don't be a stranger. There's alot you can learn here, and alot of folks willing to help.
Oh, as for the hassles being worth it.....Absolutely yes.
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 07-05-2008 05:40
I personally believe Jeffery has hit the nail on the head.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-05-2008 16:36
Ditto. :-) S.W.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-06-2008 00:40
Greg, let me offer you a perspective from a bipolar welder. lmao

When I figure out a price on a bid, I have already lost many hours of sleep going thru it in my head, (when I should be sleeping.)

..........less sleep = less wit.

When I finally win the bid and need to start orchestrating the entire piece of work from start to finish, I lose even more sleep.

........more lost sleep = less awareness.

When I am working on the job in the first stages, (going by the blueprints), I get more sleep, but dream of impossible geometry, and fittings that don't seem to exactly come together just right.

............more dreams = more abstract logic.

The very next thing that happens to me is that I don't sleep for an entire night, and figure out exactly how the entire job needs to go down.

Moral of the story is this: You have to love what you do. What many of these guys say is true, when the hood goes down the world goes away. When you smell your flesh burn, but know that if you flinch it may cost you the prettiest bead of your career - that's when you know that you are in love w/ what you do!

Whether it's welding or pumping septic tanks, you have to have a love affair with it. It has to be like a marriage.............................I gotta go eat dinner!

Being pipolar = PRICELESS!
Parent - By rick harnish (***) Date 07-06-2008 04:16
Sourdough,
Explaining the situation of flesh versus bead ...... YESSIR!! I cant describe how I feel. I guess all I have is YES SIR, absolutely, positively, YES SIR!!! The arm, belly, leg, whatever, will heal. My weld will look the same way forever! Complete respect, Sourdough!
Gimme more!
Rick Harnish
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-07-2008 13:44
I came from an academic family and my parents and family friends were shocked/curious that I picked a blue collar career. however I must say I'm just finishing up my 4th year in a welding engineering degree.

I payed my way through school working at various production welding MIG and TIG jobs they paid good for part time but very poorly for a career. It's hard to say if welding is right or wrong for individiaul people that's only something you can answer, but right now as a career it's a very good field to be in.

I consider myself a welding nerd, which is why I got a welding engineering degree. now I'm back in the office checking over ferrite numbers detailing blue prints and visiting the shop floor to solve problems. I love welding and do it for myself on the side. The best feeling is starting the day with a pile of metal and ending with a finished product that you built
Parent - - By Jenn (***) Date 07-07-2008 14:46
Metarinka,

You hit the nail on the head there. I used to run printing presses all day, and I loved turning blank paper into pretty things at the end of the day. I had big piles of books I had made, or envelopes or even big signs I had made and hung up on buildings all over town. Lately, I've had office jobs, and you walk out and your desk looks just the same as when you came in that morning - it just doesn't feel the same. Empty and blank, like a robot could do it.

I'd much rather look at something I made at the end of the day too! It makes you feel like you've really DONE something useful.

Right now I'm in school for it, but I cannot wait until I have the chance to do it all day for a living. Our teacher does let us make usefull things though, like hay spikes and trailers (under supervision), and art pieces for our school art fair - so we get to do more than stick coupons together. Thankfully!

Jenn
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-07-2008 15:28
yah my old school had an amazing fabrication class where you HAD to make something practical starting with a tool box. I ended up making 2 computer cases and working on my motorcycle, one student made a beer distillery or whatever it's called. Someone made a gazebo, people made artistic sculptures, end tables, you name it and someone made it. I ended up taking the class a second time not for credit but just because it was a nice way to get to use a complete fabrication shop for a cheap price and learn tricks and skills for fabrication. Which is a whole seperate set of skills than welding itself. I love that world and I still occupy my time with metal fab projects when I can.
I remember building a down draft table from scratch for one of my old bosses,  she later had me build 2 tables for her too I was pretty proud of those tables.

I do enjoy the desk work, half of my job right now is making things easier for the welders, or stamping out waste. I've already changed several things that reduced rework and and reject rates drastically I find it rewarding to solve problems and propose solutions to make things go faster or easier. I sometimes miss the shop floor though.
Parent - - By Jenn (***) Date 07-07-2008 15:35
That would be fun! Yeah, I think I want to take the machining classes too, when I'm done with the welding classes. I can't see where it would hurt anything. I think It would be fun to be so picky specific about where everything has to be. I'm super OCD!

We dont' have a four year degree :( Just a two year little piddly degree.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-07-2008 16:26
I got my 2 year degree and loved every second of it! only about 4 schools in the country offer a 4 year welding engineering program so the majority of students aren't at institutes that offer 4 year degrees. I encourage all 2 year welding students to look into 4 year programs, I've had so many "light bulb" moments over the last 2 years of school where I finally understand how things like amperage and voltage, and filler composition effect welding. Instead of just turning knobs to increase or decrease heat.

I did take some machining classes I took a manual machining class on lathes and mills then I took 3 CNC classes 1 on using plasma, laser, water jet, and EDM machines. One on programming CNC machines and one on setting up and using CNC lathes and mills. it was worth every second. It's nice to be able to simply program in something complex like a gear that would be very hard or time consuming to make free hand. I actually machined the back sprocket for my motorcycle on a CNC mill for a class. We also had to make detroit red wing key chains as a project. That was a lot of complex curves, we made all sorts of litte knick knacks like dice and things for personal projects. I appreciate being able to read and use micrometers calipers and other precision measuring devices you generally won't find in a welding shop.
Machining will help a welder become a better fabricator. I got a new found appreciation of metal working when you machine to .001" or .0001" on a CNC machine it's a very different world.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-08-2008 03:33

Metarinka & Jen: Anything and everything You learn will help You at some point down the road.

Metarinka: Your acedemic family and parents might not recognize the value of hands on trade experience, that is often the case with folks with an acedemic background, but as an engineer that "real world" experience will be invaluable. When I was in My teens and was a VoTec machine shop student I met a friend of an old neighborhood guy [He was My pistol shooting mentor] who had learned mechanical engineering from the rail road in England before WW1. His training began with a year spent in the machine shops without pay. In those days the value of experience was appreciated. 
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 07-09-2008 12:44
You don't have to make huge commitments to start out.  You could take one class at community or tech college.  It might even be enough to get you an entry level job.  That is exactly what happened to me, and it caused me to change my major to welding engineering technology.  We had several non-welding majors in my classes who were interested in it as a hobby and they used the credits as transfer credits/electives.  As for your business degree, you could still go that route with a few welding classes.  There are plenty of jobs in welding equipment and materials sales, and they often hire business majors. Having a few welding classes could open up those doors too.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-09-2008 22:02
I don't have the experience these guys do but I know with any job it's good to see first hand what day to day is like. The automotive technician thing is the same, they spew tales of $100,000 techs at dealers, sure there are some....somewhere, I never knew any.

Welding from my limited experience in what I have done, it gets hot, cutting out bucket shanks with an air arc, full leather and 100 degrees outside(worse in the shop), wow. I look at it like this though. When I'm done and everyone in the shop(mechanics) were complaining about the heat I'd just laugh and take off the leather coat and say, "what? It's nice out!" I guess what I like most and I believe someone said this above is when you flip the hood down it's you and the metal and trying to run the prettiest bead of your life, that says it all for me. I've done mechanic work, welding for about 2 years fixing equipment and then everything else has been at home stuff. I don't know if I have run across any negatives for me personally with what I've done so far. For me it's great satisfaction when I look at a good looking weld and think, wow, that looks pretty good.....I can do better though. It's always pushing to do better, tighter weaves and stringers, perfect fillets, evenly sized welds and I have fun trying to do it, even call my self bad names when I screw up....like what an idiot and so on!

Get in a evening class, try it out. Its just a matter of how much you like it outside when it's 19 degrees out or 107 and the news people are saying, "don't go outside unless you absolutely have to cause it's so hot". Then you realize, hey I'm out here right in the middle of it? Not to mention all the interesting reading on the porta john walls!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / HELP:COMMITING MY LIFE TO WELDING?