Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Still having trouble with porosity?
- - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-04-2008 02:54
I have a great idea....If you're still having a problem fixing that old, nasty, rotted boiler pipe....Just put a little Mighty Putty on that tough spot you can't get to weld up & it'll be fine. Mighty Putty will fix ANYTHING!! Billy Mays said so. Gee, I'll believe just about anything!

Actually, it wasn't my idea. It was some crazy, meth cooking wacko's that was looking for a welder a while back :-)

Just kidding. Figured I had nothing better to do than blab some nonsense. Too much PBR to drink as well. S.W.

"Pogo Ball is what they call it, when you're 'a rockin' and rollin' everywhere" ( Pogo Ball Commercial)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-04-2008 05:40
   If Billy Mays says it it must be true. Same for Ron Popiel of "RonCo".
Parent - - By turbolaser (**) Date 07-04-2008 11:52
I must have been misinformed, I was taught to use caulk.  I guess that 6 hour course I took on advanced caulking techniques was a waste of money.  They said with proper technique you can make the caulk look like a stack of dimes to blend in with the weld.  Then you just paint it all and know one will know the difference.  LOL.  In fact there may be a WPS for this in the Farmers Code.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 07-04-2008 12:32
That you can!  But when the inspector pokes the "weld" and the paint cracks, duck and cover...
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 07-04-2008 15:29
ya are laughing about it but it really happens at the plant I work at its called PIG PUTTY. Tempory night fix till a welder comes in in the morning. Then they wrap it with a fiberglass wrap. Hard to get off and alot of time actually holds for awhile.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-04-2008 15:33
This is new & much more advanced. I received special seminar training from Billy Mays HIMSELF! He instructed me to first use Oxy Clean & Kaboom to sanitize the surface. Then, using the Awesome Auger to grind the porosity out, The Samurai Shark will sharpen the blades if they get a little dull. Since the pipes will be hung with Hercules Hooks, no further rigging is necessary. Use the Handy Switch to turn on the welder, activate your Steam Buddy if preheating is necessary. Then, apply the Mighty Putty as instructed on the wrapper. Use Zorbeez to clean up any excess putty on the surface of the pipe. Finally, after using your Six Shooter to make any last minute adjustments, inform the CWI that your ready for a QC check. He can use his Engrave It tool to sign off on the work.

After a day of rolling around under that nasty pipe, Lint be Gone will remove any pesky lint balls from your coveralls. Just use some Oxy Clean Power Balls in the wash to insure a perfect clean!!

Geez.....What would life be without Billy & all hie wonderful products? :-) S.W.

"I'm going off the rails on a crazy train..." (Crazy Train, Ozzy Osbourne, Blizzard Of Ozz LP)
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-04-2008 17:39
Billy dont know squat. All real welders know JB Weld is the REAl ticket
BABRT's
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-04-2008 18:29
Now you're talking!! I wouldn't associate Billy with such a fine product! I've fixed lots of stuff with it as a matter of fact. S.W.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-05-2008 03:04
    Here in eastern Pa. We use PC7 epoxy, or if You want it white, PC8. Made in Allentown, Pa. It isn't runny like JB Weld, depending on the repair, sometimes that helps. I think it is les brittle too, has some sort of fibers in the filler I think.
Parent - By rigwelder8201 (*) Date 07-05-2008 06:22
You guys need to stop I just about fell off my chair lol! Thanks I need that. Hope you all had a great 4th.
Parent - By okiewelder2 (**) Date 07-05-2008 11:59
that is some funny stuff. but seriosly i have a welding machine that i got a few years ago and some one tried to braze a fitting in the oil pan to attach a hose to drain the oil and it had a small leak nothing major but annoying. so with out pulling the pan and replacing the gasket i didnt know what to do with it and didnt want to live with it i put some mighty putty on it and it fixed the problem.    ( thanks billy your the greatest)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Still having trouble with porosity?