Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / integrate cwi cert into existing shop?
- - By kkfabricator (**) Date 07-07-2008 01:11
I am considering getting my cwi cert and am wondering how I could integrate this into the company I work for and make it mutually prosperous. It is a small railing and structural fabrication shop that my father in law owns. I want to make more money, but would also like to continue working for him. does anybody have any ideas on how this could be mutually prosperous?
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 07-07-2008 03:38 Edited 07-08-2008 11:51
Just a few thoughts to consider; if you bring the CWI cert into the company your company can market that to your customers, existing and new ones. It can give your customers a sense of security that you are not a fly by night small shop. >edit: This is not implying that small shops w/out a CWI are fly by night. I'm only implying that it shows some degree of commitment to quality if you are a small shop and have a CWI.<

You will be able to improve the quality of your product in shop and in the field if you implement the principals learned obtaining the CWI.

Your employees will improve their knowledge and quality if you share your knowledge with them. Most of them that do not have a lot of experience with codes, specifications, standards, etc., will eat it up. Don't just make them do it, explain to them why it is important to maintain rod control, preheat steel when wet or too cold, clean rust or paint before welding, etc.

You will be able to save lots of money if you test all of your welders instead of using an independent lab.

You can test and qualify your welders in many processes to maximize your welders skill and have legitimate documentation to give to your customers.

You will be able to better understand codes, specs, contract documents and keep your company in compliance. There is no price tag on this.

You may want to go after some jobs or diversify into markets that you wouldn't have previously because of the lack of understanding of codes or quality requirements.

If you do work that will require NDE you can help insure (not guarantee) the success if you are a CWI. 

We are a small contractor that does mostly field work and some shop work and some of the customers were very pleased that we have an in house CWI. Those are the customers that know what one is. Some don't know and some don't care.

If you quoted a job the same price as company B and you had an AWS CWI and company B did not I would give you the contract if all other factors were equal.

Your CWI cert will add professionalism to your company. If handled properly it is contagious.

You may not be able to be the CWI full time in a small shop environment. It may not be cost effective. But you can still do what you are currently doing to some degree and handle all the quality responsibilities.

It is a worthwhile venture and encourage you to pursue it.

It is not a magic wand and can be a waste of money if the ownership is not on board and will not back you when you tell the welders to follow the WPS and they tell you they have always done it this way and don't plan on changing.

It works in my situation because I am part owner and CWI. Hope it works out for you.
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 07-07-2008 11:44
kkfabricator,
I would persue a AISC cert over a CWI cert. When I do shop inspections that cert appeals to me more then if the shop has a CWI. I have worked with shops that work to AISC and have an in house inspector certification program and do very well. Their paper work is very good, they have good procedures for every aspect of what they are producing. If you can get both then get both, but I think I would work on the AISC cert first. You can google AISC and get on their web site and it will give you directions on what to do.

Good luck.
Jim
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-07-2008 13:01
Jim,
  Please correct me if I am wrong, which I very well may be. Is it an AISC requirement to have an in house CWI/CWB/ICC Special Inspector of Structural Steel? This is an IAS requirement. Actually it states: CWI in accordance with AWS QC1 or equivalent requirements of the  standard W178.2 or for an ICC special Inspector of Structural Steel.

Basicaly some sort of "certified inspector"?

I was under the impression that AISC/IAS/ISO all required this.

jrw159
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 07-07-2008 15:34
jrw159,
AISC does not require a fabricator to have a CWI. They will accept for instance a ASNT-TC-1A program.  My point in my previous post was to persue the AISC certification. I think that would bring more value to his shop then him getting a CWI. My opinion only. :)

Thanks
Jim
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-07-2008 15:55
Jim,
  I would agree with your statement. I just could not recall what level of certification was required for AISC. :-)

jrw159
Parent - By kkfabricator (**) Date 07-08-2008 01:28
Thanks for the input!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / integrate cwi cert into existing shop?