Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Hard hats
- - By ctacker (****) Date 07-07-2008 17:47
anyone know of any hardhats that can be used with the ad-flo ventilated welding hood by speedglass?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-07-2008 18:31
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-07-2008 19:06
Reminds me of a kid one time who hated wearing boots so he took an old pair of steel toed boots and cut the steel toes out of them, shoved them inside his "NIKE" shoes and, viola, steel toed tennis shoes. :-)

P.S. He was not a welder. LOL

jrw159
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-08-2008 01:07
You can buy OSHA rated Steel Toed sneakers. they have been around for twenty years or more.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-08-2008 01:30
LOL can you make NIKE's ?

jrw159
Parent - - By Root Pass (***) Date 07-08-2008 01:36
Check with Ann Chenn I think she has a line on some.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-08-2008 01:53
ROTFLMFAO!!!

I am sure she does.
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 07-08-2008 01:49
I saw some Nike air force ones with steel toes on ebay one day.  They werent my size or I would have got them.  Reebok also made some "pump" steel toes for a couple years.  You may be able to find them but most jobs want a defined heel which most sneakers dont have.  Sneakers would come in handy if you had to outrun a fireball, though.
Parent - By RANDER (***) Date 07-08-2008 03:22
I have composite safety toe boots made by Converse.   I do get your humorous response BTW I'm just sayin'.  They are light compared to most, very comfortable, side zip for convienence.  Great if you do alot of walking in the field.  They are the only boot ive been buying for years now. 
http://www.lapolicegear.com/cotasatoesib.html

(No affiliation with Anne Chen)
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-07-2008 19:00 Edited 07-07-2008 20:48
ctacker,
  Unfortunatly, this is not an option as of yet. Speedglass sells a hard hat equipped with hardware for use with thier regular hoods, but it can not be used on the adflo effectively. It will raise the hood up and not allow for proper sealing of the system. Speedglass has received inquirys of this nature and they advised me that they are looking into this for the future, but at this time, nothing.

BTW I verified this again today.

Depending on the level of air flow protection one is needing, it might be possible to modify something to work, but this may not be advisable if one needs this hood for more than low level air purification protection.

Let me clarify: I am refering to modification of the air flow seals and NOT the hard hat. LOL :-) You might be able to make something work to suit your needs but it appears that it will not be an off the shelf item.

Let me know if you need contact inforation for them, and also if you do find something to work.

jrw159
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 07-07-2008 19:32
Thanks guys,
So I take it you have to sacrifice one for the other, wonder what osha's take is on this.
BTW, my company says as long as your wearing a welding hood, you dont need a hardhead,er hardhat. go figure!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Hard hats