Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Physical Security Welding
- - By Mic Date 07-07-2008 19:02
Is there a welding standard, practice, or guidance document that describes the methods and tools to weld steel doors to the frame?
I have the same question regarding manhole covers.
Mic
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 07-07-2008 19:40
You question is vague if not strange. At first glance I would say the only thing needed would be a welding Machine, hood and some filler rod.

The "welding standard, practice, or guidance document" you ask about would most likely be a Welding Specification Procedure (WPS) that contains essential variables such as Base and Filler material plus machine settings.

The man hole cover is a sure bet to be a very common form of mild steel like A36 and there are WPS's available from AWS for a fee.

Would you care to elaborate a little more on what you want to accomplish?
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-12-2008 17:21
Ron G

Manhole covers are usually cast iron.   The Secret Service always welds the Manhole covers shut along the presidential parade routes, qafter they inspect the hole for explosives.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 07-13-2008 05:29
I would belive cast steel but I have my doughts about cast Iron.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 07-08-2008 01:39
Sounds like you are working on a jail. If so the commision on jail standards gives all that info
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 07-09-2008 11:25
or working on how to get out of one
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-09-2008 11:56
:-)
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-09-2008 13:33
since when do they weld manhole covers?

I'm guessing both could or would fall under D1.1
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-09-2008 15:02
Maybe they are going to weld some down so they do not get stolen. :-)
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-09-2008 13:53
Nuclear stations and a lot of secure military stations use various manner of welding to secure manholes and grates.
As for welding, it's design first, pqr if needed, wps, then wpqr, then weld.  No difference.
Jails probably use similar procedures, but except for a brief stay in a venuezualan facility to sober up, I really don't know much about them.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-09-2008 16:11
ahh never thought of that. Back in my youth we "gained access" to the service tunnels for the univeristy of Michigan. It's another world down there.

That begs the next question, why would you weld a door
Parent - - By rlitman (***) Date 07-09-2008 18:10

>Why would you weld a door

Well, for one, in my office, we have an area originally conceived as a loading dock, that was converted into offices.  Windows were installed to replace the bay doors, but the actual door was just welded shut, and walled over on the inside, as it was easier to do, than to re-brick the hole in the wall on the outside.
Sometimes your floor plans just change, and its easier to turn a door into a wall, than the other way around.     :)

In my situation, just a few stitches provide more security than any lock installed in the door, and its just "good enough".
There's no point to welding the entire perimeter shut, as if you came prepared to cut through a few stitches, it might be easier to just cut out the whole door.
Still, its a soft spot in your perimeter, compared to a brick wall.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-09-2008 19:04
On a more up to no good note, my metal shop instructor back in high school days had a habit of sleeping off the hangover in first period. We all pretty much did what we wanted. I wanted to weld, but he'd get pissed when I knocked on the door with a question. The last time he chewed me out for "disturbing his grading process" I waited for him to go back to sleep and burned a few stitches into the metal door frame. He had a hell of a time explaining why the principal had to come and cut him out, and how it was he didn't notice the door to his office was being welded shut.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-09-2008 16:33
Man...Them Venezuelan jails are BAD NEWS. S.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-09-2008 17:21
You can say that. If you dont have friend or family bringing food, you don't eat, and even if you do, the other 20 in the cell will fight you for it.
Was a good thing it was no more than a day. I learned to keep the required 500 B note in my passport after that.
Parent - - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-09-2008 17:30
Yeah, I saw a few episodes of Locked Up Abroad on Nat Geo. It's a 1 hour show about different individuals that got busted smuggling drugs in different countries. There were two episodes about Venezuela & those dudes had frigging guns, grenades & knives in prison. By far, the worst place in the world to get locked up. NO DOUBT!!!!! :-(

Glad you made it back! :-) S.W.
Parent - - By arrowside (**) Date 07-09-2008 22:15
If you were to weld a door to a frame, wouldn't that make it ,well, a WALL?
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-10-2008 01:55
YUP! :-)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-10-2008 03:04
Friends of Mine have a Son who has been in jail in Cuba for the last several years, another place You don't want to be in jail.
Parent - By sbcmweb (****) Date 07-10-2008 03:36
NO DOUBT!!! S.W.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 07-10-2008 05:29
The metal door has some material inside of it which might be flammable.  I would want to do this at the beginning of the day so there would be people around to notice in case the interior of the door is smouldering.  Most manhole covers (the kind in the road) are made of cast iron.
Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Physical Security Welding