Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Building drivelines
- - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-08-2008 17:50
I just figured out how lucrative driveline work can be;

2 days ago I bent my aluminum driveline on my Chevy hd. The sucker is 5" od, and 68.5 inches from weld to weld. I spent 8 hours on the phone and internet yesterday trying to find a used one.

I also called every driveline place in Colorado, and couldnt get a quote for less than a grand to fix mine.

I think I might get another iron in the fire, if you know what I mean..........!
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 08-07-2008 01:40
truckparts and equipment in wichita ks. they have a driveline shop.
also check out Atlas Frame and Axle,also in wichita ks. they also do drivelines. both are in the same industrial park.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 08-08-2008 12:10
I've seen those aluminum shafts on the Chevy's never knew they were that much! Yikes!! I understand why they use the reynolds wrap shaft but it's twice to three times as big as it's steel counterpart. Hopefully you got the problem taken care of at a minimal cost.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 08-27-2008 02:33
Found one in Iowa for 200 bucks w/shipping.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-02-2008 13:03
If that doesn't work out, try http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/index.html 

This who I use for custom drive shaft work, they balance at over 10K rpms so you get a smooth operating shaft...even with really low diff gearing and overdrive, rarely do driveshaft rpms get faster than 10K...

ie. My Camaro with 3.73 rear gearing and a T56 six speed with .5 ratio overdrive in 6th gear...so when my motor is spinning at 2K, the drive shaft is 4k...

(2K motor rpms divided by.5 OD ratio = 4K drive shaft rpms)
Parent - By TozziWelding (**) Date 09-02-2008 23:55
I have made a tone of driveshafts for the Jeep guys, good money when they need something.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 09-03-2008 02:22
Yeah but crap, aluminum is a different price range. - and getting someone to do it today and doing it right is like winning the lottery.........
Parent - By WeldingChat.com (**) Date 01-21-2009 14:18
I used to design the driveshafts for an oem...aluminum is a different animal. Make sure its welded and balanced right. Also, they usually have liners inside to reduce noise/vibration. They are long and large in diameter to reduce vibration at high speeds. Usually they would go with a 2 piece driveshaft if it gets any longer. Aluminum typically stops at around 65-70 in long.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Building drivelines