Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / any ua members in here
- - By zackhodge (*) Date 07-09-2008 02:48
im looking into an apprenticeship with the ua to become a pipefitter and was just wondering what some of you guys could tell me about it
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 07-09-2008 05:38
Do it! There is more work than anybody can man with all the pipelines and infrastructure work goin on around the country. I organized in cause there isn't a local really close to me but the apprenticeship is the best way if you can. Learn all the welding you can because a straight fitter isn't gonna have the number of job calls that a welder does right now. What local are you gonna get into?
Parent - - By zackhodge (*) Date 07-09-2008 12:58
does the ua do more than just fitting for welders i want to possibly be able to be a pipeliner or be a rig welder with what i will be taught in a apprenticeship
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-09-2008 13:17
The local I turned out in did it all. We had a split pipeline agreement with 798 and a lot of rig hands, we had field industrial applications, and shop fabrications, and one of the best apprentice schools in the country, not to mention plumbing and air conditioning, though I had little interest in those arenas. They taught us everything from 6010 all the way out, downhill, uphill, 7018 and other SMAW's, GMAW, FCAW, GTAW, and orbital, as well as layout and cutting (oxy acetylene and plasma).
Locals are different, but in general you will find a broad diversity of learning. Find out whats going on in your area.
Parent - - By spgtti (**) Date 07-09-2008 19:24
  The best choice you could ever make is to join the apprenticeship. There is alot of variety within the piping trade. Don't just learn to weld, learn everything they have to offer and you'll always be in demand.
Parent - - By zackhodge (*) Date 07-10-2008 02:34
the locals in my area are local 392,776, and the local 162 im from the dayton ohio area and the 3 are in cincinnati lima and dayton ohio
Parent - - By zackhodge (*) Date 07-10-2008 03:23
i am going to apply for the local 162 most likely
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 07-10-2008 03:33
That's a damn good area to be around. Lots of bigger locals with a good scale all within a days drive from one another. Hope I get to work with ya someday.
Parent - - By ssmoky01 Date 07-10-2008 03:46
I have been in for 8 years now. I went through the five years of school and it was and has been worth every night. You learn alot and make more than alot of college grads out there. This industry will never die. Welders,Plumbers,Pipefitter,and Sprinklerfitters will always be needed. I would definetly get it man. You can travel all over and make big money! 
Parent - - By zackhodge (*) Date 07-13-2008 05:02
do you work alot of overtime? or just alot of straight 40 hour weeks?
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 07-13-2008 05:47
If the job aint 60 hours or more, I usually don't mess with it. Turnarounds and shutdowns are where the 70+ hours are but most new construction is gonna be 50-60 hours a week until the deadline starts coming up then they will kick it into high gear if need be.
Parent - - By zackhodge (*) Date 07-13-2008 17:32
ok good thats what i was hopeing
Parent - - By zackhodge (*) Date 07-13-2008 20:14
how old were you guys when you started your apprenticeship im only 20 but im a HIWT grad. and i currently am working for a company that installs armor into vehicles for gov't agencies but i want something with a possibility for more money and thats more challangeing
Parent - By ssmoky01 Date 07-14-2008 00:55
I was 20 when I started. I was able to buy a house at 26. Could have earlier but when you have a wife spending your money, things don't work out to well. All your ot money should be kept in savings. Pretend you are living on 40 hours even though you are working 58-84 and the money add's up quick!!!
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 07-14-2008 04:37
Organized in when I was 23, been fitting/welding since I got out of high school. Only got three years in so far but they've been three good years.
Parent - - By zackhodge (*) Date 07-16-2008 02:08
since i've had some pipe welding classes(never a fitting class or downhill) is this going to effect my chances to be an apprentice?
Parent - - By zackhodge (*) Date 07-16-2008 02:29
p.s. i only did uphill on 2in. schedule 40 and 80 stick in 6g. schedule 40 in tig 5g and 2g and 6in tig/stick combo schudule 80 in 2g 5g and 6g and 6in in stick 2g 5g and 6g but its been awhile since i've done it and all i ever did was in school
and are all pipe welds x-rayed that everyone has done with the ua
im sorry i got alot of questions
Parent - By spgtti (**) Date 07-16-2008 02:50
   Not all welds are x-rayed it depends on the job. As a UA apprentice don't expect to walk in with a room full of fits waiting on you to weld. It could be a while before you even strike an arc depending on the welder situation in that local. In the apprenticeship you'll be expected to learn all aspects of piping assembly and layout. Welding is just a tool of our trade. I just hired in on a new powerhouse job last Thursday and have only made one weld since arriving. The rest of the time the other welders and I have been setting heaters and tanks on pads with our fitters. It's looking like it'll be a few weeks before any of the pipe even gets brought up from the yard.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 07-16-2008 13:22
If you can weld you will have a good chance of getting into the fitters with the demand being the way it is right now.  Good luck and don't pass up an opportunity to get in.  You'll be very happy you put all the work and effort when your making the big bucks and getting to see some pretty cool stuff while doing it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / any ua members in here