Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / new union program
- - By MetalFinagler (*) Date 07-09-2008 06:00
A buddy of mine in washington is on the wait list for the union. He got a letter from them saying they have a new program where they will give him free training. 40 HOURS A WEEK FOR FOUR MONTHS! And if within that time frame he gets 3 certs they will start him at journeymens pay. has any one heard of this? The only thing about this is besides kids who still live at home and dont have any bills, who can afford to do this? Not much time to have a job to pay bills. It seems like a good deal besides that.
Parent - - By zoobrana Date 07-15-2008 23:57
hey metal,

That is the program I was in a couple months ago. The class started with 20 guys and only 5 made it(I was not one of them). I was not one of them. My cover pass in the 6G position was not up to muster. I do not know if they will be strict with him as they were with my class. Hours were 6:30 am until 5:00p.m
3 absences and your out.
3 tardies and your out.
If you cannot pass the 6G position by the end of the 6th week....your out.

I was so bummed out about missing such a great opportunity. I am trying to get back in September welding class coming up. In the mean time went back to my old job , and taking a welding class at night.
Some of the guy I heard from the previous class who did not assigned to a job site with the union, went knocking on doors and ended up making $65 per hour.

Tell your buddy to grab that opportunity, it one he should not pass up if he can afford it.
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 07-16-2008 01:44
Where is that $65.00 an hour door at? I want to knock on it too :)
Parent - - By MetalFinagler (*) Date 07-16-2008 08:04
WOW. I didnt know it was that cut throat. How did you afford to do that? School all day work at night and just not sleep?
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-16-2008 13:45
if only school was free I got an A.A.S in Welding and fabrication at a few grand and I'm finishing up my Bachelors at like way more than that a semester, I work full time right now while taking 11 credits I'm tired and poor but i'm almost done! I'm almost kicking myself for not joining union and working for awhile, many of the students I know would get an associates or certificate in welding then join a union and have a foot up. I just wish I could get some free schoolage.
Parent - By zoobrana Date 07-16-2008 19:56
They called me about the program in January  '08, I knew I had 4 months to make extra money. I worked for 45 days straight trying to get as much O.T as possible. Good thing we had just paid of the car in Nov '07. We cut back on expenses, good thing I live in SoCal where winter months aren't so bad. Stocked up on non-perishable foods at Costco, Sam's Club. Traded in my fiance SUV for a nice small car, complete trade plus $600. Good thing we did that in the earlier part of the year, cause now they would not have given us as much money as they did. I also continued working at my job Fridays and Saturdays, in addition my fiance is a 2nd year middle school science teacher.

Yeah it is tough but other had it tougher. Couple of guys quit after 3 weeks, gas was killing them or just normal expenses of living (Rent,food etc). As I said before I hope to get into the September/October class and kick the sh*t out of that 6G. I am still pissed about it. So close yet so far. DAMN!!!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / new union program