Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need Help, Introduction
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-09-2008 15:44
Hello all,

I'm Shawn and this is my story. Went in the Marines at 18, hung out in the welding shop where I was stationed when I was'nt fixing 5 tons and other mechanical garbage. I went to a mechanic/trade school for auto/diesel technology after I got out. I've been doing it since 1995. I've worked on Cat, Detroit Diesel, Cummins, Western Star, Petes, Case, John Deere and Cadillacs(4 years +/-). I'm a ASE Master, GM master, Cummins,Detroit Certified and have more certs and papers than you can fit into a dump truck. This year I realized that, I'm good at what I do. Fixing machines with no wiring schematics or even a knowledge on how it works and doing it in the field to boot. My last job was with a large rental company who wanted me to dedicate 24/7 to them being on call and covering a pretty large area. I had no problem with the travel really, but at the end of the year when I looked at my w2 I thought, it's not worth that and that was with overtime?? As a master of my trade, who I believe could go into any shop and get a job, be it cars, equipment and so on I don't feel compensated properly for my knowledge/skills.

I welded for one place I worked for for about 2 years as their primary welder. While I was there I attended a tech school for welding(they paid). I did MIG, I know any monkey can do MIG and I passed my plate tests(for the school) in all positions. I started on stick but then I moved far away from the school and left the job I was at. I had a tasted of welding, almost as good as the self-emloyed taste. I have been fab'ing and welding with my Miller Thunderbolt since then. I recently was let go from my current company(they closed our location down, let mechanics go) and decided after all these years I am tired of dealing with these monkeys in the "mechanic world". I have it set in my mind that I will not go back to turning wrenches. Most everything began or ended with a cuss word and usually was linked to engineers or bean counters(sorry engineers). I have somewhere in the ball park of $50,000 tied up in a big toolbox and tools, which is more than I have ever made in a year?????

I enjoy making things, fixing things and fab work. I don't want to weld in a factory, seems like that is the kind of job they might walk into one day and say, "oh, we're closing down this facility". I like the stick welding, it is challenging. I also liked electrical problems on Cadillacs(that's over well over 20 computers/modules onboard), it was a challenge and got my brain to working and hurting at times! But when we had to call the engineers and they would come out and stand their scratching their heads I would laugh inside and tell the shop foreman, "I don't feel so bad about not figuring it out now!" Funny part was when the engineers starting taking out their shotguns and shooting new parts on the car to try and fix it!!

I've been working on doing my plate tests, 3G 4G 7018 prequal and in talking with some welders locally(who have been very helpful) I am really close, although I can't test them myself to make sure. One guy even said my fillet weld on my 1/2" plate looked really good(that was a good moral boost). Now, I have been off work trying to drum up some non-qualified work(fence/gate repairs) to make some money before my paychecks run out and hopefully get my tests done......and pass so I can do some qualified work, beginner stuff. I plan on fixing whatever mechanical turd anyone has around here to drum up more cash flow, I haul scrap and have been building some metal trinketts I hope to sell to people with an expendable income.

I have been looking and talking with some of the local Unions, Pipefitters and thinking of calling the Boilermakers. I want to weld, which is why I did not apply with the Sheetmetal workers local. The apprenticeship program sounds good but I have a wife and 3 kids to support so I need to make better than $11 if I am gonna give up my alternative sources of income, hauling scrap and working on OPS. I have read on here about welders helpers and have checked a few big places here(TVA) but no openings from what I have seen. I won't mind traveling as long as I will have bigger and better w2's as the years go by and I become more skilled or a master at my trade. If I travel I won't mind working crazy hours, nothing else to do right.

I guess I'm looking for ideas, some bones to chase and hopefully catch so I can advance my skills. I have also read on here about the 6G test and that raised my eyebrows, hmmmmm, that sounds very challenging. I heard that prequalifies for everything which means more opportunity and would make me a more desireable welder. I have also read Cactus post here about the possible rig job in Texas, that sounds interesting as well, but rig experience???????? Huhhh??? If there was some way I could support the family and make decent money for the experiece alone I'd be there, helper anyone?? I enjoy standing back after a job and looking at it and knowing I was part of it. I built some handrail and the challenge of the angles, the math(which I had no interest in until I started doing that sort of stuff) and when I looked at the end product.....wow. It was a 40 hour job for me which was "big time" by my standards. I don't get the same satisfaction from wrenching. The electrical was the about as close as I could get, but still was not the same.

Anyhow, sorry this is so long, been having to get this out cause I am not going back to mechanics and I hate asking anything but I am determined to do this. I'm 37 and have no desire to turn a wrench for someone else again. That's 30+ good years of welding left in me, hopefully I can make enough to actually have a savings account or hey, a retirement fund!! Wow!! It would be nice to start on one of those! Thanks for any info, help or guidence you vets can offer.

Shawn
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 07-09-2008 17:04
In your novel above you mentioned TVA??? I take it you're in the tennessee area. If so I may be able to give you some info. What area are you in? Send me a PM if you do not want to post.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-09-2008 21:41
Pipeslayer, I'm in southern middle Tennessee southwest of Columbia. Nearest place is Mt.Pleasant, about 6 miles from home. Yeah, sorry about the book, been tellin this tale to all kinds of people. I talked to the Pipefitters today and thought I'd spare the Boilermakers with my long tale til tomorrow!

I've found a bunch of info from this site, not directly, did a search for fillet weld penetration and they kept leading me back here for the answers. Looking at my cut samples....or destructive tests I have full penetration to the root. First couple times heat was to low and I could see a tiny pocket right in the corner where the plates meet. Just need to burn more welding rod, use the old 7018 to play with and practice my "moves" and keep the good stuff for my test plates.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 07-09-2008 17:05
Shawn I will say this, first off -WELCOME to our Forum-. If you put as much into welding as you did this post you should do well. How ever like every thing else in this world you will need to prove your self every day until you have a reputation established.

Some welding jobs are just that and all you do all day long is lay down welds. But then some require a lot more knowledge about many things than just welding and with your back ground you should have a good grasp on most things you will need to know.

Most any place you go to hire on as a Welder you need to qualify on site according to what kind of hands they are looking for and most of the time it will be a 6G test but not always. If you are looking for a trainee position they may require a lot less.

This is the right place to get more support both technical and moral. You will find this group willing and eager to help in every way possible.

What ever you decide, good luck.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-09-2008 21:42 Edited 07-09-2008 21:45
Looks like I put that new post in the wrong place, figuring out how the site works...duhhhh. Thanks Ron, I'm used to challenges. Actually seems my whole life has been a challenge. Everything I got is from working after work and weekends, sundays and so on doing side jobs. Day jobs just kept the roof over my head....barely.
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 07-10-2008 11:52
There is a huge Nuke project brewing in Spring City TN. this is to be a 4-6 yr project for the TVA with Bechtel as the contractor. Their going to need 2400 people at peak so rumor has it. Through a very good grapvine Bechtel is going to have a pipewelder training center to train welders for that project. location is rumored to be east TN between Knoxvill and Seviverville. This could be the door opening you've been waiting for. Oh yeah, you will absolutly make more than 50K with Bechtel that will be the low side.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-10-2008 14:03
Need to be following Bellefonte in Hollywood Al.
HU FYI
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 07-10-2008 10:14
I went into the Marines at 18 as well.I got out an have been back in the welding field ever since.If your a pipewelder you can make a decent living in East Tn. (about $20-$25 and hour).Mostly powerplants and plant maintenance.Good luck.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need Help, Introduction