Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Air Arc on CV Machines
- - By bmaas1 (***) Date 07-09-2008 16:37
I would like thoughts and opinions regarding the use of air arc on constant voltage machines.  I personally do not like the practice because I feel it is harder on the machines.

Brian
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-09-2008 16:45
Do your FCAW machines have a switch to flip over to CC like our Miller 650 series machines do?..if so, I would.
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 07-09-2008 16:48
All machines are CV only.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 07-09-2008 18:17
Hello Brian, I too share your concerns with using various machines for air arc gouging. Personally the machines that I don't like to air arc with are the power sources designed for GTAW and any of the inverters, as far as CV only machines go, if they are rated properly per amperage output and duty cycle I don't believe you will harm them. If they don't have an output on switch(some will have remote contactor/on output switches) you can wire one in to close the contactor. I don't have a solid basis for these ideas of mine so you can certainly decide for yourself as to the validity of my comments. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By TRC (***) Date 07-09-2008 21:45
did you do a search, this was covered 6 or 8 months ago
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 07-10-2008 04:10
Set the voltage for maximum and the amperage is determined by the demand on the machine. CV is used for automatic gouging. Hand held is no worries as long as the ocv is high enough. Usually 40 or more.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Air Arc on CV Machines