Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / I need in the union!
- - By Mark Tyree Date 07-10-2008 20:13
I went through Tulsa Welding School last summer. I met some guys at the rv park i was staying at... a lot of them were union. I went to the unions downhill welding school in tulsa and tried to get into there after TWS. They told me to go work for a year on pipelines and go back and then we will talk. Plus they think im too young. Well im fully riged out. I have a 07 dodge with a Vatage 500. I have worked for about 6 months now with my rig making great money but its bull **** old oil tube welding with plastic in it making fences... I have too much training and knowledge for this job and i want to get into the union....I am a slick tig welder on smaller pipe, i can burn 7018 uphill, 6010-8010 downhill.  Is there anywhere else other than Tulsa ok's union school, where i can call and try to get my foot in the door? I have a diploma too show, a good resume, and a Certificate of all the competencies I completed.

Thank You,
Mark Tyree
Parent - By MetalFinagler (*) Date 07-10-2008 22:59
Are you trying to stay in the Oklahoma area?
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-11-2008 00:04
Let me get this straight. You go to school, then go to the union for more training. They turn you down so you rig up and start killing it and dragging it home?
Here is something to think about.
You have initiative drive and are not afraid of work.
There are non-union contractors all over the country who will give you an opportunity.
You could start your own business and have others work for you.
You are developing your own job security. The money you make is YOURS. You do not have to share it with anyone or pay for the privilege of working for someone else.
Keep doing what you are doing! You should be an inspiration to young aspiring welders.
BABRT's
Parent - - By K.Sexton82 (*) Date 07-11-2008 01:04
so 798 let you go thru there downhill training program but wouldnt put you to work? why would they train you to go work non union when there trying recruit people from that side of the fence. theres work all over the place, how did you get into the training program with out being a welders helper member. keep yor eyes and ears open the guys on here can steer you in right direction
Parent - - By tighand430 (***) Date 07-11-2008 04:09
I don't think he went through the welder program. You've got to be a helper that has so many hours in or a journeyman in one of the fitters local. The fitters can only practice two weeks a year now though.
Parent - - By Root Pass (***) Date 07-11-2008 04:28
tighand430
What about that new program the UA is starting? Letting guys with experiance test and take an abreviated apprenticship (like 4 weeks)? Maybe he did that. I bet the old timers hate the idea of that program. Kinda like the 1 day F&A Masons. Like going to Paris Island on the weekends! LOL
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 07-11-2008 04:59 Edited 07-11-2008 14:31
No, 798 aint doin that. That program is just on the building trades side. Got more work coming up than we got welders for. Kinda nice being something like a comodity everybody wants. 798 is only allowing non-union pipeline hands, journeymen out of fitters locals, and the helpers do any welding practice or testing at their training center.
Parent - By tighand430 (***) Date 07-11-2008 04:06
You aint gonna get into 798 right off the bat. You've got to have some pipeline experience, that's why they wanted you to get on a line for a year. If you're stuck on going pipeline, I can't help you; but if you want to get into the fitters union, call local 430 in tulsa. The number is 918-836-0430. Test is a 2" sch160 6010/7018 and a 2" sch80 309 tig all x-ray. Sorry, but you aint gonna be using your rig much until you get some time in and can transfer your book to 798. Sometimes there are calls for rigs but not very often.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / I need in the union!