Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Filler Metals Training
- - By magodley (**) Date 08-09-2001 14:56
School is about to start for you guys and ladies in public education. Be sure to check out ESAB's "Filler Metals Course" on CD. You will like it and your administration will be pleased that you are using a computer in your lab. There are too many features to list here, see your ESAB dealer or factor rep. There are other CD's available also.
Andy
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-09-2001 17:42
Say more, say more!

I have the CD from Miller Training Systems "TIG Fundamentals", which is cute and nice for the beginning TIG. Welder. It states terms and definitions and has a neat little Millerman who explains many of the fundamentals. Also I use the simple but effective video from Victor "Oxy-Fuel Safety its not an OPTION". It covers all the points a beginner or refresher must hit and is not Obnoxious or blatant in its self promotion (you will notice the guy does NOT *crack* the fuel gas bottle, and actually wears proper safety gear)

I would also like to get input from anybody and everybody who uses or views teaching media on several subjects. My present concern is focused upon recurrent training for Journeyman TIG welders and high temp silver brazers. As you might imagine it can be difficult to come up with media to capture the attention of experts. However I would be interested in Video, CD or any other type of training material that has significant time devoted to the more advanced aspects of any of the following.

Shop Safety focused on TIG

Aluminum and Magnesium TIG repair of Castings.

Titanium TIG manual welding, including *up to date* information on surface prep, residual color/Alpha case, argon backup and shielding.

High Temp manual Oxy-Fuel Silverbrazing (Black flux hand wire fill)

Pneumatic hand tool safety focused on small die grinders, pencil grinders, or any surface prep tools, carbide burrs or mandrels which run at RPM between 20,000 and 80,000.

Since I know I'm asking a lot, I'll throw you all a bone from the start.

Here is a link to the Oklahoma State online library its Great!
http://www.pp.okstate.edu/ehs/links/welding.htm

A Gold mine! Over 150 PowerPoint Safety presentations, courtesy of the University of Vermont.
http://siri.uvm.edu/ftp/ppt/powerpt.html

Last but not least, since you will all be spending the next few minutes hunched over your keyboards typing witty replies, the following egrnomics presentation from the university of Virgina. I'm sure you will find it enjoyable.
http://keats.admin.virginia.edu/ergo/stretch.html

Our host Webmasters have not taken to heart the wise suggestion somebody made to begin a safety folder so I guess we will have to just take it upon ourselves to press on and begin such an endeavor right here eh? Education surely is next best place to put this stuff.

Benedictus

Lawrence
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Filler Metals Training