Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Welding History
- - By Plasma-Brain (**) Date 07-12-2008 17:24
Bit of randomness for you all...
My dad hits up a lot of yard/garage sales and he recently found an old welding text book and knowing I'm a welder, he grabbed it for me.
Turns out he found a 1938 1st edition of the AWS welding handbook! It's an amazing to read about how it was done from the early years of welding, including the BMAW processes... yikes!

It was owned by Earl H. Mills who was an engine inspector for the Maintenance of Way department of the NY Central rail road back in 1938.
Price for members (of all classes)  $5.00
Price for non members in the US $6.00
Published by the American Welding society  33 W. Thirty-Ninth Street, New York, N.Y.

If anyone knows anything about Mr. Mills id be interested in learning about the gentleman whose book I ended up with :)

And while I'm at it, I want to thank who ever in the AWS decided to make Volume 3 of the current welding handbook available for $25, otherwise id never have been able to afford such an interesting and informative volume :) :) :)

-Clif
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-12-2008 17:32
That is an outstanding find!

jrw159
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 07-12-2008 23:42
Hello Plasma-Brain, I too have a love for the nostalgic side of welding and all of it's related technologies. You truly have a treasure there and yes I am envious along with a bunch of others on the forum here no doubt! Enjoy the read and if you find any little tidbits of insight through your reading please share them with us here. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Welding History