Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / new to welding
- - By mustang8739 Date 07-13-2008 00:37
Hi guys im new to the welding field . I start school this august at my local community college for welding . i have heard from alot of people
that it is a very good school . my uncle gave me a old lincoln stick welder for  practice . im getting alot better at first i kept getting the electrode stuck to the piece i was welding now i can actually get it going and run a pretty decent bead . the main reason i am writing this is
i have been reading alot of post you guys write and there is so much knowledge  here on this site its amazing . i am trying to get onto power plants most of my family works for them so i thought it would be a great place to start after school. but  first things first i want to buy a nice auto darkening helmet what do you guys suggest how about welding gloves ,jackets, etc, how about where i might be able to go to get more education or what i might want to look into first i know you guys that have been doing this for years are gonna read this and laugh at me but hey you got to start some where any info would greatly be appreciated thank you kelly
Parent - - By brightblue (**) Date 07-13-2008 12:34
Hi Kelly,
Like yourself, I'll be starting school soon too. I think, but can't recall where, there's a thread on here about different helmets. Try using the Search function because I'm pretty sure I saw one. Also, if you Google welding gear you'll see tons of links and your school will probably give you an equipment list. Don't worry about having it all the first day of school but if you DO want it, try emailing the dean of your applied sciences department or one of the welding faculty and ask which local supplier they recommend. You should also get a student discount on your purchases. Good luck with your plans! :)
Parent - By mustang8739 Date 07-13-2008 18:40
all right bud i will look on here and see what i can find on welding helmets  i tried e mailing my shop teacher to see what ones he recommended thank u for your reply
Parent - - By medicinehawk01 (**) Date 07-17-2008 21:38
I have had a Spedglass auto hood which was light (a good thing) and now I have a Miller Elite which (imo) is the best I have ever owned. Spedglass viewing window was too small for my liking although I did not have the very top of the line model which offerred a slightly larger window. This Miller I have now is fantastic and the warranty is good too.
Parent - - By mustang8739 Date 07-18-2008 00:39
thank you for the info i really like the miller elite but i heard you cant do over head welding with them is that true are do they just say that to cover there @$$
Parent - - By medicinehawk01 (**) Date 07-21-2008 09:41
I have done plenty overhead welding with both and i think they both said they were not for overhead use. You are probably right they say that incase a moulten glob of metal burns thru the cover lense you are sol, so stay out from under it if you know what i mean.be well.
Parent - - By Erikgr7 (*) Date 07-21-2008 15:51
mustang8739,

If you buy an auto darkening hood at Lowe's or Home Depot becareful...

I did when I was in school. You can use it for SMAW and FCAW etc but I couldn't
use it for Tig. It says that even on the box..the light is  not bright enough to
activate the sensors...I took mine back..lol

I purchased a Lincoln Electric with a wide screen. You don't really need the auto dark,
in my book. Every job I have had since school won't let me use them. I am out doing
a lot of structual welding and the sun sets them off too easy.
Parent - By mustang8739 Date 07-22-2008 22:07
thanks guys for replying i cant wait to start school i got a good deal on a speedglas 9002x i think it will do the job well you guys have a good week out there be safe and god bless
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / new to welding