Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Hammer Chisel's
- - By jacanfora (*) Date 07-14-2008 15:47
Used to work in structural fab shop and loved the air chisel for slag removal. Fillets as well as Full Pen. and Partial Pen. welds. I was more comfterble welding, which can be important when all your welds are going to be UI or MT inspected. Currently in school and will be for fall. Hope to join Ironworkers with nr232 cert. Anyone use a chisel? I thought battery opperated was far fetched until I looked on computer. Makita for 500$ and that may be used, Dewalt for 300. Not overly concerned with the price, but would I be the only nuckle head with a hammer chisel instead of the chipping hammer?
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 07-14-2008 23:31
Myself, I'd be more comfortable with a needle scaler vs a chisle hammer less chace of notching and creating a stress riser where it's not intended.
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 07-15-2008 02:15
I used a needle scaler when doing moment welds. It saves alot of time and is more efficient than a chipping hammer. But had to run air hose to every weld. Have never used a battery powered chisel though. I wonder how long the battery will last without needing to be recharged? Would also have to keep an eye on it because it will grow legs. I have never seen one on a job but who knows, you may start a fad.
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 07-15-2008 02:46
Out here you may only be a knuckle head with a battery powered chisel for a short time. Things like that dont stay on your rig very long if they dont have a cord atached to them( some times not even then) in the yard or out in the field. Ive never tried a chisel but I usually carry a needle scaler. Id be afraid of stress nicks with a chisel.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-15-2008 04:49
     At the auto frame plant the welders in the tool room had small air chipping hammers for scale removal. They were a little less powerfull than a "muffler gun" air chisel. The chisel end was rather blunt and couldn't dig in and cause a stress riser.

I think a needle scaler does a better job.
Parent - By jacanfora (*) Date 07-15-2008 21:31
Exellent. I've used one but forgot the name of 'em. Not something people like loaning out. Just trying to be prepared for work after school. Thanx
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Hammer Chisel's