Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / How many CWI'S
- - By drifter57 (**) Date 07-14-2008 16:10
Just wondering if anybody (Ross) has any idea of how many active CWI'S there are?
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-15-2008 01:45
drifter 57

As of 1 July 2008, there are 21537 AWS CWIs and 382 SCWIs.  How active they are, as in actively working as inspectors, no one really knows for sure.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-15-2008 08:31
Joe, has that number actually dropped?  I seem to remember at one point there were around 45,000?
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-15-2008 14:39
Jon,
  You may be correct. It seems that the last time I checked there were around 35,000.

jrw159
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-15-2008 15:13
Jon

The total membership of the AWS is less than 50,000, so your 45,000 number might be where that number came to mind.   In July of 07, we only had 19657 CWIs, that is an increase of 9.56%.
Parent - - By drifter57 (**) Date 07-15-2008 16:06
Thanks guys, I have always just been curious.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-15-2008 20:44
Not sure if he is still the correct contact, but at one time, Mr Jim Lankford; Managing Director, Administrative Services: jiml@aws.org had all the databases for this.
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-15-2008 20:50
Jon

Here is the official report, if I can attach it.
Parent - - By welder6g (**) Date 07-20-2008 15:20
WOW,I can`t believe there are only that many? Why is noone paying the right rate out there? Anyone calls me for CWI work never follows through. These big places contact me for Certification and if I actually go about it the right way they never use me after wasted quotes and numerous phone calls,faxes and emails.You wanna know why? Because some shady CWI comes around and gives them Certs with no hassle,no test and just takes the money and runs.Seems once I tell them that they are not paying for Certs.,they are paying for my time and if thier guys can`t weld then they are not getting Certified,then they take the next CWI that will give them the Certs with no hassle.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-20-2008 17:33
BINGO buddy!!!

An AWS CWI is something that almost any metal fab operation of any value or good standing of acreditation HAS to have but does not WANT to have. This is a stipulation set out by customer contracts, or accreditation by IAS, AISC, or ISO.

So you are correct!! Most every company that HAS to have a AWS CWI or equivelant WILL ACTIVLY look for the "Yes Man" as apposed to the one who is going to fullfill thier obligations and job requirements to the fullest expectations of the customer and uphold the ethics of AWS CWI.

And YES there are inspectors out there that will sell thier stamp and turn thier head.

I AM NOT THIS GUY!!!

No one can buy my stamp with a trip to the tittie bar. And I do not care what ANYONE says, IT HAPPENS and it makes me SICK!!!

To all the "Yes Men" I say SCREW U and I hope that it backfires in the worst possible ways for them. By this I mean, I hope you end up with a VERY costly failure that put you in court, convicts you, AWS pulls your cert and you do serious JAIL TIME for your inscrupulous actions!!!!

Thank GOD most of us are honest but we are the ones who have to search for the companies that truly WANT quality.

When an inspector is more worried about the production rate than quality, something is wrong.

If production does what they are supposed to do, things roll along nicely.

For example, when I do a fit up inspection for a pipeline, it takes all of 60 seconds to check hi-low and proper gap. After the weld is complete it takes all of 120 seconds to check for undercut, max reinforcement, and any other discontinuity. THATS THREE MINUTES and that is using the proper inspection gauges for the job. When I see inspectors that do not own or use or even know what the proper gauge is, I want to slap them AND the dumba** that hired them. Truth is that is what most people look for since that one wont cause any problems. NO LOOKey, NO PROBLEMO!! I have seen foreman and strawbosses spend more time arguing and trying to get around quality, as well as hunting for that inspector that will sleep in his truck and sign later. THAT IS STUPID.

THREE minutes on any size of pipe!! If you can not handle that, you should NOT BE PIPELINING PERIOD.

YES MEN SUCK, thats my rant for the day. :-)

NEVER SACRIFICE YOUR MORALES AND/OR REPUTATION!!!

jrw159
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-21-2008 12:39 Edited 07-21-2008 12:41
Gents; there are unethical people in all professions.  Our's does bind us with a Code of Ethics and there are penalties (both civil and criminal) for violating our ethics. 

That said, I wish to mention one point; there is a HUGE difference between lack of ethics and looking for ways to accept rather than reject. 

This doesn't mean turning a blind eye by any means, what it does mean is using our expertise and experience in helping to find solutions rather than just throwing up our hands and stomping our feet because we have the power to reject. 

Which inspector would you rather hire? 

All too often, newby inspectors seem to get a power rush by stopping jobs or rejecting without pursing all options... these are just some words of wisdom from a 28+ year CWI.

And for those of you who may not know it, Joe Kane, above, has Chaired the Ethics Subcomnmittee of the Certification Committee for many years and I've never met a more deliberate individual towards the pursuit of construction ethics in my life.  I guess Mr. Kane would side with most of what I've mentioned above.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-21-2008 13:34
I totally agree.

In short, the differance is-

One sleeps in the truck and signs paperwork while yawning.

The other can come to a comfortable level and use his best judgement.

For example- When I first start a job, I do not know anything about the fitters/spacers and welders and helpers. I check closely while I am standing out there WITH them. Once I get a feel for them, I still am right there with them. After I have verified that everything is going well, I observe, and if everything goes smooth, I probably will not put a gauge on every one (ie spot check), BUT I am still right there prepared to check if they should have to fight one into position. If it does not go smooth, I need to check. The key is I am in position to check, NOT in my truck where they will have to come knock on my window to wake me up or stop me from texting my girlfriend or buddies.

I am by no means an insecure newbie with something to prove, and I am SURE not a "sleeper" or "yes man"

The inspector I would rather hire is the one who will look at it optimistically and give everything he possibly can to pass it, but has the nuts to say "That is an unacceptable fit up" when it is. AND the one who can back that call up with a code book and gauge IN HAND.

That is why my lines always pig out smoothly, while SOME other inspectors who do not even own a gauge of any sort on a differant leg spend three weeks trying to get a pig through.

NOW the harsh truth-The inspector that most companies look for for in house purposes is the one they can intimidate, sway, or buy off.

I say most because there are some who truly want that strong, well rounded fair firm and consistant inspector. But they are not the majority.

jrw159
Parent - - By hburg rocket (*) Date 08-01-2008 21:39
Does anyone know how i can find a list of CWI's in the city [or state] where I live?
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-02-2008 16:58
You can buy the lists from AWS.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / How many CWI'S