Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Titanium Discoloration
- - By caalfi3 Date 07-14-2008 17:42
Hi everyone,
      I'm having some problems trying to control the discoloration of the Titanium Welds on tubing 1" Dia., I'm using TIG Process; and due to acceptance criteria from the AWS D17.1 any Blue Discoloration is rejected, I know that most of my problem is not enough gas purge and shielded. But, did anyone know a better way to purge and shielded the parts during the weld to avoid the Discoloration.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Carlos
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 07-14-2008 18:31
For a project a while back, GTAW Ti outside of a purge box on 1/2" tubing, I made a small gas diffuser that clamped around the tube about 1" away from the joint. This was because a trailing shield was not practical on such a small dia tube. The purpose was to keep additional purge flowing around the entire 360 degree joint in addition to the large gas lens on the TIG torch. It allowed the welder faster travel speeds and additional maneuvering room with the filler metal. It is very important when doing this welding outside of a purge box to not only shield the base metal but to also never move the end of the filler rod out of the purge gas while it's hot.
I can fax a sketch of the diffuser assembly I made if you like, just send me a #.

Tim
Parent - - By caalfi3 Date 07-14-2008 19:41
Hi Tim, Thanks for your offer, I believe that the gas diffuser can be very useful for my application, unfortunately I don't have a Fax number here, but if you can send it by e-mail it would be great.
e-mail: carlosalfaro@eaton.com

Thanks in advance for your help.
Carlos
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 07-14-2008 20:06
Carlos,
Is the discolouration on the inside or outside of the pipe ?
If it is outside Tims advice is what you need, if it is inside are you using an oxygen analyser ?
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By caalfi3 Date 07-14-2008 20:18
Shane,
     The discoloration is Outside the Pipe, but do you know beside the gas diffuser if there is something else that can provide a cleaning welds, maybe I'm exaggerated but our customer Specs (Roll Royce) does not allow any discoloration at all.
Regards,

Carlos
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 07-14-2008 21:48
OK, I'll bring the sketches home from work so I scan and email tomorrow night.
No scanner at work...

Tim
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Titanium Discoloration