Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / How do I get started
- - By Inwardmoment Date 07-15-2008 12:17
My son-in-law to be at the age of 16 attended job corp and got a certificate in welding. He graduated to young and thus never pursued that career. Now at 25 he has come to me and said he would like to pursue the career and provide for his family. He said it was the only thing he ever did he was a natural at. What steps should he take to get into welding and become a licensed welder. He said he is afraid to take the test right now since he hasn't done it in such a long time. He lives outside St. Louis in Wentzville Missouri. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-15-2008 14:21
Hello Inwardmoment, first off welcome to the forum. You will find a host of useful information on here if you start reading through many of the topics listed. There is also a search function that may help to answer many of your questions as well as those of your son-in-law. In short, he could consider going back to school for a while until he is comfortable with the process and testing, he may also find other sorts of interests while he is there which could expand his welding "toolbox" so to speak. There are likely community college programs in his area or possibly Vo-Techs, if he doesn't mind spending a bit of money he could consider going to Hobart's or Lincoln's training centers for some intense and spot-on type training to help him get his start. Otherwise he may want to look into an apprenticeship program with one of the many unions. Besides that he could possibly get on as a welder's helper or shop clean-up person with many other shops and then work his way up. There are really a host of options to explore and consider, I'm sure that others will offer up suggestions as well. Good luck to you and your son-in-law. Best regards, aevald
Parent - - By Inwardmoment Date 07-15-2008 14:31
Thank you, how do I find the welders union?
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 07-15-2008 16:27
Hello again Inwardmoment, it is likely that they will be listed in the yellow pages for his or your area depending upon whether you are from the same area as him. You can also look on the internet by using Google. Type in Ironworkers, Pipefitters, Millwrights, Boilermakers, Steamfitters, Shipwrights, Sheetmetal Workers, Aerospace/Machinists, and I've possibly left out some, although not intentionally. Good luck on the hunt. Best regards, aevald
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / How do I get started