Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Pass/Fail Ratio of the CWI Exam
- - By tonyd Date 07-15-2008 12:39
Does anybody know the pass/fail ratio of the CWI exam? I've asked others who were in a position to know, and have been told that it is not entirely cool to ask... so I apologize if I'm being offensive with that question, but I'm still curious enough to ask it. If it can't be answered, does anybody know why this topic is taboo?
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-15-2008 16:16
The real reason it is not cool to ask, is that it has to be broken down into so many categories.  Even at our Committee meetings, this information seems to be impossible to get in a meaningful format.    "Categories are Took the course and passed first time"  "Didn't take the course and passed on the first try" and a whole slew of other variants, like "passed on second try", "third try", etc. , "passed at CAWI level", "passed first time taking the API1104" "Passed first time taking AWS D1.1",   Then the variants on these categories.  It takes a lot of programming effort and computer time.  This information is not very useful in the long run because we keep making up different categories.
Parent - By bitthird Date 07-17-2008 16:14
When I took the SCWI in 2000/2001 I was told only 1 in 15 pass the test. It took me 4 times to pass it, one of the most difficult tests I have ever taken. That was probably because I was unprepared VS the regular CWI and had the latest edition books only to find out after the second try I needed the earlier editions. I was never so happy to make a 75 on any test. My scores were 67.8%, 71.6%, 74.3% and finally 81.6%. I did not take the preparatory class for the SCWI, but would recommend it highly. In the early 90's when I took the CWI week long preparatory class and thought it was basically a review for me I passed the CWI with 98%-99% on all 3 sections and was pretty much the first one finished on each section and was ticked off that I missed any questions. I think this lead to my over confidence on the SCWI. There is a reason why there are only ~300 Seniors, it is not for everybody.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Pass/Fail Ratio of the CWI Exam