Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / first test in a few years
- - By burntfingers Date 07-15-2008 15:14
I am taking a 2" Sch 160 6G test 6010 root, 7018 fill cap, which is I guess a standard entry test. It has been a few years since I have done a pipe test, and have limited experience with these rods, (welder 18 years). What I would ask is is there anything I should be aware of, any characteristics etc that this test, rods may have. If anybody has any tips, thoughts experience with these rods then all will be appreciated   
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 07-16-2008 13:01
That does'nt sound like a standard test to me
Parent - - By burntfingers Date 07-16-2008 13:48
Ok, like I said it's been a while, any thoughts on the test, rods, things to look out for etc, has anybody done this test recently and have some pointers.
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 07-16-2008 16:38
use a tight 1/8 gap on the root with about a nickle landing and burn into the tacks (good tie ins) 7018 run it hot and concentrate on your rod angle dont get out of position. might want to shorten up the 7018 to make it more stable?
Parent - - By burntfingers Date 07-16-2008 18:14
I have been looking through some past older posts and some have been asking about porosity with these rods, is this something to watch out for or is it the usual things to be aware of ie: grind stop starts and watch the initial strick etc
Parent - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 07-16-2008 18:21
porosity is more prevalent with 7018, Keep a tight arc and good angle it should be ok. Eliminate stops and starts as much as possible.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 07-17-2008 13:01
It's totally a standard test.  That's one of the first test you take when you go out on a job as a pipefitter/welder.  It gives you a very broad range of stick welding qualification.
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 07-17-2008 14:42
I was referring to 2" 6010. Our test would be tig root and stick out . We'd 6010 a 6" sch 80 with a side bend or X-ray. 6010 2" is not common around here.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 07-17-2008 15:44
Yeah, it's a very common qualification test to get you a very broad qualification range for 10 roots and 7018 outs on all thicknesses, plate or pipe.  RT can be substituted for bend testing on tests like these.  When your working big jobs in refineries and power plants, a fitter has to weld on pipes of all sizes with hangers and plate of all thicknesses.  6" Sched 80 test doesn't cover the small bore pipe.  What code are you working to that you can give a 6" sched 80 test and have your guys be able to weld on 2"pipe?  The 2" Sched 160 and a 10 root is not that common out in the field however because 2" sched 160 is usually needed for a line that requires GTAW roots. 2" Sched 40 and 80 out in the field are another story for 10 roots and lo hy fill and caps.  Done millions of those and they are a lot harder to slick in then a bigger pipe but, it can be done.;-)
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 07-17-2008 15:55
Our test is 2" sch 10 SS tig all the way out. 2" sch 80 carbon tig root and stick out. 6" sch 80 carbon 6010 root and 7018 out.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-17-2008 16:14
You can get all of the same qualifications AND MORE with one 2" Schedule 40 Tig all the way out and follow up with a a 2-1/2" NPS Sch 160 6010/7018 .

In addition you get the qualification to weld butt welds on pipe smaller than 2 7/8" with 6010, Unlimited thickness for 7018 if you only put in a root pass with 6010,  and greater thickness for GTAW on SS or Carbon
Parent - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 07-17-2008 16:55
we'll generally tig everything below 4". I do know what your saying about the range of qualification. Tig is more expensive but the quality outways the cost most of the time. As I said before it is not common the south to 6010 small bore pipe. We acctually dont do 6010 very often but do have a project going now that we run it on.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-17-2008 03:59 Edited 07-17-2008 04:40
Here are a few thoughts as they rolled off my head. Excuse the ones that seem a little off. Thats just how it is for me. The nice thing about the 2" is the fact you can go up each side with one rod. No need for starts  and stops.

1) Make sure you can get as comfortable as possible on your weak side.
1.5) Start in a bind, finish easy. (Added)
2) On the bottom when welding from the easy side, start up past bottom dead center to make your start on the hard side a little easier to see.
3) On the bottom, If I aint gettin sparks on me, I like it. I push the rod through and keep the arc and most of the spatter on the inside. This helps get a little mor reinforcement  on the root if needed.
4) Experiment with how the rod goes in the stinger. By properly positioning the rod you use the roll of your wrists as you go around the pipe to help maintain a good angle on the rod in relation to the pipe.
5) Stick a file in the end to prop on if you need to or if it helps just a little. (Dont weld it in on the root)
6) Clean your lenses.
7) If the booth has an adjustable height, use it. Some inspectors like it set in one place. If you can set it in that "one place" make it where you are most comfortable on your weak side. If it swings, and they don't care, swing it (there nothing that says you can't but some inspectors like to improve upon the code requirements).
8) If you burn through with the 7018, I suggest you keep on truckin with a tight arc trying to fill the hole. If I ever stop, I can't get em filled with 7018 without a grinder. I keep on going and they never show up on film or they bend just fine. You cant see it on film unless it drops through. A very small weave over the root with the heat concentrated on the sides and fast across the middle will usually keep from burning through. Excess grinding on the root makes it easy to burn through. If you are allowed to grind, don't remove the ripples onless you are prepared for that burning through.
9) Stagger the starts and stops on the bottom to keep from getting them all built up in one spot. File them if you need to.
10) When filling the groove, try to stay aware of what kind of valley or notch you are creating with each bead. If you are forming a bead that will come right up to the edge of the bevel, bring it the rest of the way over to flatten it out and avoid the valley.
11) I usually end up a little low on top. I try to even it out a layer or two before capping.
12) The maximum cap on a test that thickness is usually in the 1/8" range. I usually try to max that out on pipes that will be RT'd.
13) If your beads on the cap are crooked or uneven, you can straighten them with a file or weld BEFORE depositing that last stringer. If you are allowed to file and have time.
14) Make sure you know what is required and is not allowed. All the code says is usually small in comparison with what some inspector has in his mind to make sure "ONLY THE BEST" welders make it.
15) Practice 1st if you can. If you can get comfortable and confident, its just another weld.
16) WELDITUP and let the QC man sort it out. Good bad or other, its a skill to be proud of
17) My wife, kids, dogs, horses, .... still like me even if I bust a test. All the busted tests in the world won't take welding from me.
18) If you can, use three tacks. One top, one bottom and one on one side. Then weld the un-tacked side 1st. This may open the gap on t he tacked side just a little.

Hope this helps some.
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 07-17-2008 11:17
Pipewelder I can see your test already and you did great. Well said,
Parent - By jimmcphail Date 07-17-2008 14:07
Thanks guys for all the words of wisdom, going to feel good to get a lungful of fumes again and you are correct its only just another weld but one time I dipped a test, my wife's ankles stayed together, my kid started to call be bud, the dog bit my ass and my horse Mr. Ed, didn't speak to me for a week, but the planet kept on spinning. Thanks again pipewelder     
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / first test in a few years