Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / K&N Air filter
- - By DoubleB (*) Date 07-16-2008 01:08
Thinking about doing away with the old oil bath air filter and going to a K&N air filter but not sure how they run on a SA 200 any thoughts or comment welcome.
Parent - By welder_Bob (**) Date 07-16-2008 02:24
I don't know about it making mine run better but sure made it easer to clean the air filter.  If you decide to get one get the one with the surround because of the rain.  Bills carries them scroll down to the bottom of the page. 

http://www.billswelderrepair.com/parts-page.html
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 07-16-2008 15:24
Parent - - By zach benefield (*) Date 07-17-2008 22:12
if u put a k&n air filter on their, when it comes winter will the mach run right without the heater tube on or is their some way to put it on

my mach wants to run up & down with out it, is that normal

thanks
zach
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 07-18-2008 01:18
I figured the oil bath airfilters would be easier just to change the oil no???
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 07-18-2008 14:31
If you have the original oil bath--keep it. If you don't this is an alternative. The heater tube keeps your fuel from freezing. This is another reason why you want to keep your doors on the machine.

Zach- it is not normal for your machine to run up and down. Sounds like your carb float may be out of adjustment. This would cause your machine to basically almost run out of gas (surge down) then get gas (surge up). When you have the oilbath on it it keeps it 'choked' enough to smooth out.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 07-18-2008 22:24
how many hours should I go till I change the oil in the oil bath airfilter Kaye?? and I 've noticed which I thought was normal when my machine at idle it has like a hickup so I just figured this was because it has a carburator and not fuel injection because I'm so use to how smooth fuel injections runs now when it warms up it doesn't seem to hickup to much but I mean when I strike an arc it doesn't hesitate at all it powers up and the power is there and at high idle there is no hickup so is this just normal being a carburator?? I've been running it on weekends and it great but was wondering was this kinda normal for these old machines??
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 07-19-2008 15:43
it is typical with some 4 cyl engines...
Parent - By zach benefield (*) Date 07-18-2008 22:51
but it will only do it in cold weather, but went it warms up i will take it off and it will run fine

thanks
zach
Parent - - By 65 Pipeliner (**) Date 07-19-2008 13:07
     I now have heard 2 exactly opposite opinions on keeping or getting rid of the oil bath filter. I am by no means trying to bash either one, I am just in search of the best option.
     The other opinion I have recieved is from a salesman on getting rid of the oil bath is because it allows dirt into the engine and that is why the rear mains start to leak on the engines. The dirt scores the seals and bearings allowing oil past the rope seal and causing a leak. (I have also been told that Lincoln did not use any support on the engine side of the armature except for the rear main bearing, leading to leaks because the rear main has to carry all of that weight.) Their paper element set up will reduce most (98% or better, according to them) of the dirt entering the engine. Also, the oil bath reduces fuel efficiency.

Here's my thoughts on this. A liquid is better than paper as a filter because there are no "pores" in the liquid for dirt to get past. Paper has "pores" just by the way it is constructed. If a paper filter is best when it is slightly dirty, where did the smaller particles go when it was new? I won't argue that an oil bath may reduce fuel efficiency. But is the money saved by using a paper filter worth it in the long run? I personally don't think so, but I don't have anything to back that up besides my way of thinking.

I am not saying one is right or wrong, I am looking for what is the better option. My opinion is the oil bath is better. I am interested in what anybody else has to say.

Chris
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 07-19-2008 16:20
my 2 cents- the oil bath is a liquid filter- in one side down thru the mesh metal filter down into the oil and back up to the carb. K & N filters are also oiled to trap most of the dirt. The crank sits in the oil pan, the bearings wear on the crank allowing your crank to drop into the seals and damage them. This is why no engine shop will warranty seal replacement alone. The crank needs to be machines and new bearings put on it. We use speedi sleeves along with the seal replacement.

As engineers have continued to earn their jobs- better things have come out on the market - however finding it is time consuming. Some places that make it easy to find an alternative are outrageous on the pricing.

If you change your oil religiously (as is recommended as with your vehicle) in any application you lengthen the life of the motor.
Parent - - By DoubleB (*) Date 07-20-2008 14:41
I think I wil just keep my old oil bath or up grade it with that upgrade kit from weld-mart.
Parent - - By 52lincoln (***) Date 07-20-2008 17:20
i would keep the oil bath.its been doing fine all this time why change.i was told it was the best  anyway.
Parent - By 65 Pipeliner (**) Date 07-20-2008 19:46
I still think liquid is the best filter. However, after reading the duramax report, that ac delco filter looks to have done a good job as well.
Chris
Parent - - By lake (*) Date 07-19-2008 19:14
http://www.duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

The link above goes to a site where some testing of various air filters is described. (Including K&N)
Athough it refers to a vehicle and engine that is not SA 200 Continental Red Seal the info is pointed toward another engine.

It was interesting to read.

Lake
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-20-2008 04:21
   Having read that article when it was posted in another thread, making an adapter to use the GM filters for the DuroMax truck engine on a welder might be the best way to go. K&N got thier reputation making filters for racing aplications, fine particle wear over the long term not being an issue.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 07-28-2008 18:16
I just changed the oil in my oil bath airfilter on my SA and I can't believe how much dirt was in there. I can see how if you're out on the pipeline how everyweek you should be changeing your oil and oil in your airfilter. I don't run my machine that much but on weekends and Kaye told me when I rebuilt this thing to soak my air cleaner in like mineral spirits and I did for about 2 or so weeks to clean the crap out of it but god it is amazing how much dirt this thing has pulled outta the air. I'm a true believer in oil bath airfilters like this one. almost makes me want to take the entire air cleaner off once a year and soak it in a parts cleaner to clean the trash out of the entire thing. I was worried maybe some dirt may have gotten past the oil and into the carb so I took the assembly off and ran my finger inside the carb and ABSOLUTELY no grit or dirt what so ever was in there. yep I'm a believer now

Chris
Parent - - By welderjack (*) Date 08-01-2008 22:57
have you thought about adding a paper filter before the oil bath  to catch some of the dirt
just food for thought
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 08-02-2008 02:00
yeah I've thought about that but would it eat more gas up because it has more suction
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 08-02-2008 12:13 Edited 08-02-2008 12:17
Yes, it would restrict the airflow, and cause a richer mixture than normal operation.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 08-02-2008 16:02
I do wonder though if my air cleaner had dirt in it to begin with but I know I soaked that thing for like 2 weeks in mineral spirits.. I guess the air going through that oil really does do a great job as a filter..I'm just really really amazed at how much d*m dirt was in there.. gosh I kinda wish my car had that kinda filter even if it looses some horse power it sure does seem to clean really well
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-03-2008 04:35
     Chris, My buddy has a garden center, and I do some mechanical work for Him. He has a mediun sized loader/backhoe that they use to load mulch, topsoil, gravel & for landscape work. This has a pretty big paper filter element and a centrifical seperator that seperates the bigger & heavier particles. The paper element gets loads of crud in it, so does a similar filter on the brush chipper. You might not have gotten rid of all the crud the first time You washed Yours out, but if operated in dirty conditions there is a lot of dirt to catch.
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 08-03-2008 15:39
maybe so but I know there was so much sand and crap at the bottom of my bucket when I soaked it for 2 weeks and I tried to look in side it through the holes which it looked really clean and I ran it under hot water after I did this to flush anymore crap out but the mineral spirits I think did it the best darn if i soak it I'll strip my pretty paint job off it LOL but yeah I may end up haveing to do that again but I know there isn't any dirt coming through it though going into the carb so that is a good thing

Chris
Parent - By Welderjoe92 Date 03-31-2019 04:28
I just bought a sa 200 I have some questions about this oil bath. Why does it have a pipe coming off it that it folded over and sealed? Do I need to replace that? It comes off bottom left side with a hose then has a metal pipe that is folded at end and sealed. So I dont understand how that pulls air in....
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / K&N Air filter