Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Purchase order vs Spec.
- - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 07-16-2008 14:38
Ok minor issue, I have a PO that is written as follows......Plate SA516 GR 70 1-1/2" thk x 6" OD (Domestic Steel ) Normalized with Special Supplement S5 PER SA 20(ASME).
Special Supplement S5 Charpy V notch Impact test Page 99 2004 SEC II -A now in S5.3 " the test temperature and required acceptance criteria, if other than those required in 12.1,Shall be as Specified in the Purchase order.
12.1.5 Test temp ........if a test temp is not specified in the po tests shall be conducted at a temp no higher than is given in table A1.15 PG 111 for that applicable size and grade.
If any1 has access to ASME I would like an opinion about what im going to do....
The temp for impact test was -20 f  the po calls S5 PER SA 20 no temp on po , have I missed something or is this out of spec for what the po calls for?
I think im going to send this back, unless i have missed somthing.
MIKE
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 07-18-2008 17:07
The Purchase Order has always priority over all other purchase documents. The Purchase Order describes what the client requires and what he's paying for. If there's something wrong in it, or if the supplier doesn't agree with something, he should make the pertinent reservations and not sign his approval. If he's already signed, then he should obey what the P.O. says
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brasil
Parent - - By KLipphardt Date 07-19-2008 11:09
I agree with Giovanni, however there is nothing that says that you cannot contact the customer for clarification. The PO is not always written by the technical person that has the knowledge to translate correctly what they need for the parts to comply. I would try to contact someone and ask.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 07-21-2008 17:30
We wrote the po to purchase this steel, and after I had notified the purchaser about the situation this is the reply he received and forwarded to me.

"Per your purchase order xxxxxxx states Normalized with Supplement S5 per SA20
But does not indicate specific temperature.  Per the ASME book plates should be
Ordered with specific requirements.  If you are needing another piece let me know."

Isn't per SA20 S5 specific enough?
Is the above somewhat vague, are they saying because there is no temp they choose -20 out of thin air, where could that temp come from?
The piece is 1 1/2" thk -40 f in table A1.15.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 07-23-2008 21:47
Assuming that the vendor's reply is right, no, SA20 SA5 is not sufficient enough. You should have specified the normalizing temperature.
I would say that the vendor is suggesting you a temperature. It's up to you now to accept it or require another one.
Giovanni S. Crisi 
Parent - - By ziggy (**) Date 07-24-2008 01:49
Mike

On a side note, be sure to carefully review your mill's and/or supplier's terms and conditions of sale.

Some suppliers provide a "sales order acknowledgement" of some sort back to you to confirm what was on your PO.

Several mills will only recognize their "sales order acknowledgement", not your PO, as the final say in a matter.

One steel fabricator took a big hit because they failed to include pertinent data in their PO to a mill. In turn, another fabricator did specify all the right data in their PO but the corresponding mill "sales order acknowledgement" did not carry the information over from the PO. The mill's T&C's specifically stated that whatever the buyer signed off on the "sales order acknowledgement" was final. Ouch!

Caveat emptor! (Let the buyer beware!)

ziggy
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 07-24-2008 13:09
I did receive sales order acknowledgement this time for the replacement parts, this was the first one the Purchaser sent to me and the information is now correct.
MDK
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 07-24-2008 13:50
Crisi
I must have missed something, my issue with the product was with the Charpy temp, other than the statement when notch toughness tests are required on plate 1.5 and under in thk plate (sa 516 GR 70) shall be normalized unless specified by the purchaser, what does the supplementary requirement SA-20 s-5 have to do with normalizing temps? The po states normalized with SA20 s-5 (s5 impact test).
Could you please clarify for me where the normalize temp is involved in this case?
MDK
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Purchase order vs Spec.