Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Procedure A709 to A668 FCAW
- - By tbite Date 08-14-2001 16:25
Can any one tell me if it is possible to obtain a PQR from an outside company and use it to write a WPS?
Parent - By - Date 08-14-2001 18:47
If you are welding to ASME IX, the answer is NO. The procedure must be qualified under the supervision of the fabricator that is going to use it.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 08-14-2001 19:01
For ASME, Niekie is right, with one exception. The ASME will accept SWPSes (Standard Welding Procedures). They will accept only the ones listed in Section IX, and no deviation from the SWPS is allowed. It is not exaclty what you are asking for, as you cannot write your own WPS from the PQRs. The Welding Research Council (I believe they were the ones writiting the SWPSes) has already collected hundreds of PQRs from industry in order to write the SWPSes. I don't know however, if any of the other welding codes address the SWPS issue. Also, you do have to do a demonstration test as outlined in Section IX before you can use the SWPS, but it is a lot less extensive than a full blown PQR test. I have no idea if these SWPSes cover your intended application though.
Parent - - By tbite Date 08-14-2001 19:32
Thanks for the reply's! This work is per AWS D1.5 however, this material is not covered by the code as far as I can see. Can the owner accept from the contractor someone elses PQR if all partys agree to it. This is what is being perposed.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 08-15-2001 16:43
If all parties agree, nearly anything is acceptable. But the trick is to get all parties to agree.

Having said that, take a look at D1.5 Sec. 5.7.3. The way I read it is if you want to use a 3rd party PQR you need to run a WPS verification test per Fig.2. (If you did the PQR yourself, you do not need to do a WPS verification test is what the 2nd sentence means).

Now, looking at Fig.2 you will see that 1-AWMT, 5- CVNs, and 2 side bends must be extracted from it. The plate must be 15 inches plus and you will need a witness who is acceptable to the customer.

I would think that a full PQR test per Fig. 1 would not be that much more to do. You would only have to add 2 more side bends, 2- RSTs, and 3-Macroetches (and a larger plate with the right carbon equivalent). And the 5 year expiration date will be from the date of your PQR test. I don't know if you would have 5 years from the date of a WPS verification test or not. It might only be valid from the date of the original, 3rd party's PQR test. You should check that out.

Hope this helps,
CHGuilford
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Procedure A709 to A668 FCAW