Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / where do we go from here
- - By mrwizard57 Date 07-17-2008 20:59
I've been welding for over 30 yrs, but I don't have all of those exotic certs that I have seen on this formum.I'm impressed to say the least really I am no ****. I have welded in power houses,small boiler shops,private co's 11yrs in the shipyards welding on just about anything any position with so many different types of wire I can hardly remember half of them, welded with mirrors, stingers taped to a broom handle so I could reach out to weld.I've chipped off asbestos from pipes so the laggers wouldn't have to redo the whole pipe run, shown others the tricks of my trade that I learned from some old timer. I have been involved with some of the biggest projects that you could ever imagine, and the list goes on and on.One thing I would like to know is how do you make it around the receptionist to talk to the boss who  can only see the list of places that you have worked because of lay offs, down sizing, ecomomy crashes......you know you had to work to support your self so when these things happened you went out and got another job ya know what I mean? So now here I am, a good freekin welder only 58 yrs young.. but I can't buy a job because of my age?.....my lenghty job history?........are they afraid that I might keel over on the job......not be stable enough to stay with them?..........I didn't roam around for the hell of it what gives? and how do I fix it ?... is any body else out there experiencing this wierd phenomenon? I'm not lazy, I can still do my job.....love to work everyday... asme plate and pipe certified, aws,usg,state roads machine groove 1" plate 5/32 7018, 2" heavy wall tube openroot 7018, sch 80 6g 6010 root fill and cap, 6" sch 80 open root 7018 root fill and cap, flux core plate 2 3 4g 1/16" wire, I can weld my ass off ...hey I'm not *****ing just venting... if anyone out there has any idea just drop a line I would appreciate it. Also if anybody knows of a co that's hiring and will train for tig while on the job let me know.thank ya'll for listening.
Parent - By mountainman (***) Date 07-17-2008 21:25
if you showed up at my door, i would try and get you into a welding foreman or manager sort of position. in other words i would see your experience as a great asset to teach others the ropes. just because all you have done is welding doesn't mean that's all you have to keep on doing, if it fits you, maybe approach prospective employers with that sort of an angle. but then again, i don't think like alot of people do. just an idea.

good luck
JJ
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 07-17-2008 21:51
have you considered getting into quality control / inspection ?
Parent - - By deerslayer61 Date 07-17-2008 22:54
if your intersted in shipyard work try northrop grumman in miss.or louisiana both yards need welders
Parent - - By snuffman (***) Date 07-18-2008 03:22
[deleted]
Parent - By deerslayer61 Date 07-18-2008 12:06
no
Parent - - By texansays Date 07-18-2008 17:49
If I might ask, what part of the world/states are you looking for work in?
Parent - By flamin (**) Date 07-19-2008 19:29
Sounds like you've been around the block a few times. Over the years I have learned many valuable things in my career from guys in your position. Guys who had to make things work with what they had. It's a shame that with that kind of experience, that you are having a hard time finding a job. Maybe these employers just don't want to dish out the cash and pay you what they should. I've seen that happen.

Good luch to you

Jason
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / where do we go from here