Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Test requirement for Welding Consumables
- - By cong nguyen (**) Date 07-21-2008 02:48
Hi All,

Any body know what type of test that required for welding consumables? For example ASME SFA 5.1 Welding Consumables then what kind of test are required? When I read ASME II Part C for this welding consumables I see in table 4 mention Required Tests, but I see also "Welding Position for Test Assembly" in this table and I do not understand, could any body explain to me?

Thank you very much!
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-21-2008 12:28
Part B and Table 4 in your example.  Should be similar or identical in other SFA's.  For welding position of test assembly, read Note 2 to Table 4.
Parent - By cong nguyen (**) Date 07-22-2008 10:22
So I still don't understand what kind of test that required for electrodes. For example E7016 should have what kind of test, Chemical, Tensile, Bend....
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-21-2008 14:15
Are you trying to classify a filler metal?
Parent - - By cong nguyen (**) Date 07-22-2008 10:21
No Js55, I want to make sure that what kind of test that required for each type of welding consumables (electrodes). As you know, now my client are reviewing Welding Consumables Certificate and they comment that some of certificate lack of result for Mechanical Properties. I don't know what kind of test each welding consumable type should mention.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 07-22-2008 13:10
Typically, mechanical property values are shown for tensile strength, yield strength, elongation, average hardness, and CVN impact.
Parent - - By cong nguyen (**) Date 07-23-2008 07:40
Thank swnorris but as you know, I woul like to ask you all for what type of test that request by Standards?
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-23-2008 08:58
cong nguyen; as has been mentioned NUMEROUS times, the tests are identified very clearly in the standards you mention. 

We have given you specific reference and generic reference. 

I don't mean to be harsh, but it seems the qualifications stated in your signature line should enable you to figure these questions out easily given the advice thats been provided to you.
Parent - - By cong nguyen (**) Date 07-23-2008 09:23
Sorry Jon20013 for not understand you, but as you said then E7016 with the size = 2.4, 2.5 and 3.2 we don't need any test as table 4 mention "NR", is it correct?
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-23-2008 10:14
rtfm or rtfb which is American shorthand for politely saying read the book. 

You are a Welding Engineer and CSWIP 3.1 Inspector and NDT Level II... sorry, if you can't understand what several of us have explained to you in a variety of posts, I cannot help you further.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-23-2008 13:38
Kind of makes one wonder, doesn't it. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By cong nguyen (**) Date 07-24-2008 01:28
OK, Thank you very much for your help Jon.
Parent - By alstonwelding (*) Date 08-01-2008 01:18
when you are purchasing your welding rods you should request from your vendor the certificates of conformance (COC) at that time. keep all of your records in such a way that you can retrieve them for review. you may be tasked with keeping these records    ( COC's , MT R's ) in a controlled , and secure manner no different than you do with your welding procedures , welders / operators certifications. but it all starts with requesting the documents at the start, well before you start any welding. the COC's should show all the test that have been performed.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Test requirement for Welding Consumables