Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Hit in the eye
- - By Erikgr7 (*) Date 07-21-2008 16:28
Well, I did something stupid today that I normally wouldn't or shouldn't do..lol

I was FCAW some large beams together. Raised my hood to chip some slag and
caught a piece right in the corner..almost in the eye. I could hear it sizzle a little.

I got a blister on my eye lid but, it could have been much worse. I always have
safety glasses on under my hood..today I didn't

It only takes a second to make a mistake in this line of work.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-21-2008 17:00
Erikgr7,
  Thats a close call partner. Sizzle on the eyeball=BAD NEWS. Thank God it was not directly on the eye.

Stay safe, always wear your safety glasses. :-)

I equate safety glasses to LOTO procedures. Most injuries occur when safety is bypassed with the mindset of "It will just take a second to get the job done" But it only takes a second to get the injury that will prevent you from ever getting the job done again.

Glad you are OK

jrw159
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-23-2008 15:39
in our shop your not allowed to enter the floor without safety glasses. Most of the operations we do don't have a realistic chance of eye injury (brakes, shears) but I grew used to always wearing safety glasses under my hood and I've had those close calls to chipping slag. I got a scar from some FCAw slag that when down my shirt and stuck to my chest. Now adays I would never think of chipping slag without eye protection or my hood down. That stuff is as a hot missle that that likes to bounce to unprotected areas

Watch out!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Hit in the eye