Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / UT of plug welds
- - By hogan (****) Date 07-21-2008 17:59
I have an item that was to be match drilled. It ended up not being match drilled. Now I have some 1 1/2" mislocated holes. We are allowed to plug weld and UT per engineer. My question is, per AWS D1.1(06)5.26.5 (2) (b) the repair is to be verified by the same means as specified in the contract documents (UT) and approved by the engineer, is UT of plug welds covered by 6.20.1 "groove welds"? or is a procedure needed for testing of plug welds?
Parent - By dmilesdot (**) Date 07-21-2008 18:33
We require a 70* scan and a zero degree.  The inspector has to be creative in his scanning pattern to get 100% coverage.  Often a hole can be close to the edge and there wont be enough room to scan and get coverage from all sides.  I guess what Im saying is that we would require a special written procedure outlining how the repair is to be done and inspected.
Dave
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-22-2008 15:57
I am going to say you'll need a procedure for it, and a qualification for the same. I can see all manner of potential problems for this kind of inspection. I would be sure to qualify in your position.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / UT of plug welds