Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Vs Weld Engineer
- - By StevenADaley Date 07-21-2008 21:56
i'm looking into becoming a CWI but also looking into becoming a Weld Engineer, i want to know whats the difference between the two careers??
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 07-22-2008 02:48
A hell of a lot!
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-22-2008 02:50
Well said. :-)
Parent - - By Richard Cook (**) Date 07-22-2008 12:26
Go for weld engineer then get you CWI, hold both qualifications. A good engineer should make a good inspector
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 07-22-2008 14:02
Its been my experience that the route to CWI and WE are in general entirely different. WE's are generally (though admitedly not always) college degreed. Its rare to become a WE without a degree. Most that have done so have been in the right place at the right time.
Whereas with a CWI the college degree doesn't matter. Many excellent CWI's have no degree. They worked their way up from the shop floor, or from field experience, took the test and then applied their certification professionally.
The other thing is, few companies other than large engineering firms, or large welding industry firms, wish to employ WE's as WE's. They prefer that their QA/QC guy be their WE. Most guys that call themselves WE's that work for manufaturers are either QC guys that worked their way up through the inspection ranks or mechanical engineers that have been given welding responsibility.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-22-2008 15:44
Js55 Basically nailed it. I'm graduating shortly with my bachelors in Welding engineering, there's only about 4-5 schools in the nation that have welding engineering programs. That being said the job market for a welding engineer is good right now.

Also out of school I would feel confident in my ability to pass the CWI test with studying.  My particular school has 2 classes on Non destructive testing so I already have experience and education operating UT Xray, Mag particle, etc and I've done quite a bit of work with the AWS D1.1 code book (as I type this my hand is resting on  D1.3 and D1.6 . I hope it doesn't sound like I'm bragging, but I'm glad my school gave me a taste of QC work if I should ever choose to go that path.

The careers are very different in terms of both job description, training, etc. Js55 explained it better than I could.

there are two types of welding engineers. The extremely rare few who actually get a degree in welding engineering; and Mechanical engineers, metallurgists or occasionally skilled welders who work their way up to the work without a relevant degree. ( I know an extrmely skilled welder going for his bachelors in buisness so he can become a welding manager/engineer).  Welding engineers generally tackle "engineering" issues ranging from metallurgy like picking the rod type and determining metal strength. To design like determining weld size or type of process to use, and finally management like overseeing welders, developing weld procedures, testing etc.  

CWI's and QC exist on the other side of the fabrication world ensuring that work was done to code and properly and testing welds, they are the check valve to make sure sub standard products don't go out the door. It requires a different set of skills than a WE and is generally field work.

My suggestion personally would be become a welding engineer, you can always pick up a CWI cert later I know a few WE who have a cert for freelance and consulting work, but often they remain in the realm of a engineer.

what's right for you might not be what my opinion is. Some people don't want to take 4 years of college and I understand that I was one of them.  Right now the job market is good so theres work in any welding related field. Hope that helps, I love the Welding engineering program and enjoyed my internship.
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 07-23-2008 21:39
Metarinka,
your Profile mentions Ann Arbor. Are you studying at Michigan State U.?
Could you tell me what other US universities have an engineering degree in welding?
Thanks
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 07-23-2008 22:11
I think Michigan State is in East Lansing and the University of Michigan is in Ann Arbor.  I know that The Ohio State University offers a Welding Engineering Degree.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-24-2008 14:15
Hello, Yes I am from Ann Arbor, Which is home to university of Michigan. I do not goto University of Michigan, interestingly enough I taught there for awhile though.  I currently goto Pennsylvania College of Technology in williamsport, Pa.  There are about 4-5 known undergraduate welding engineering programs in the US. Ohio state is perhaps the most recgonized but I'm not a fan of their curriculumn, Ferris State in Big rapids michigan, LaTournaeu in Texas, Webber and a few more I believe Arizona state? There is one or two more but those are the largest known schools with dedicated programs. University of Michigan offers a masters in automotive based welding engineering in conjunction with Detroit auto, but last I heard the program was on hold as the professor took sabatical.

One of my instructors who is on the board of accredidation for welding programs said a few more schools have programs in the works mainly because most of the schools programs are completely full, there is now a wait list for the welding programs at my current school and the school I transfered from, and placement is extremely high for graduates

If you have any more questions feel free to PM me
hope that helps
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 07-24-2008 18:36
Good school! Several of my graduated students are attending there.
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 07-23-2008 01:00
Due respect to all: When I took my CWI test several years ago, I was with three WE's and one PE, for the refresher course and the actual test. We became familiar with each other and remained in touch for a while after going our own ways. Only one of the WE's achieved CWI status, and the PE achieved ACWI. I believe there's a lot to say for actual experience!
Parent - - By Goose-em (**) Date 07-28-2008 17:45
As a degreed Weld Engineer who holds not only a CWI but also ACCP credentials I feel that I can chime in with a few facts.  (passed CWI the first time, missing only two questions on the code portion.  Many experienced welders at my test did not pass.  Education + experience is what counts).

I recieved my CWI prior to graduating with my degree.  I had many years of experience in the welding industry prior to deciding to pursue a degree in Weld Engineering as did most of those who graduated with me.

It is my opinion that a good Weld Engineer needs to have hands on industry experience in order to be an excellent Welding Engineer. 

A CWI is not a WE.  I work with several CWI's who are very bright and have many years of experience but do not have the theoretical background nor the authority to make engineering decisions. 

The time I spend on inspection is minimal although I am responsible for all welded product quality.  Product quality for me ranges from the initial design of the part to be welded, ie. material selection, joint design, part design, welder access, etc to manufacturing, weld cell design, equipment procurement, electrode selection, mechanical testing, non destructive testing, etc.

CWI's do not typically partake in such a broad range of skills.

If I were a young person interested in the field of welding with the apptitude to succeed in college I would enroll at a reputable school and find a position as a welder at a local manufacturer.  I would also pursue summer internships under the supervision of a degreed weld engineer.  I would try to obtain a CWI as soon as I had the neccesary experience to do so as the CWI will set you apart from the rest of the pack.

Salaries for WE's are some of the highest within the field of engineering.  Typical starting salaries for an individual with a BS in WE range from $48K (very low end, no experience) to $65K plus (experience required).

I was hired out of college many years ago for $60K.  Mechanical engineers at that time were being hired at $36 - $45K.

It is typical for very experienced weld engineers to see offers over $100K depending on the location and the industry. 

If you pursue either the CWI route or the WE/CWI route be prepared to work.  The best WE's are hands on spending much of their time on the shop floor where the action occurs.
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 07-28-2008 19:23
Goose-em,

Did you go to school here in Texas??
Parent - By Goose-em (**) Date 07-29-2008 00:35
I did not attend school in Texas.  I actually went to a school that no longer offers a degree in Welding Engineering.

There are many good schools left, LeTourneau, Weber State in Utah, Ohio State ( mostly thoeretical), Ferris State, Michigan (hands on).  These are the top schools offering degrees in weld engineering.

LeTourneau is the only ABET accredited school for Materials Joining Technology.  Ohio State is accredtited but does not offer the technology portion as far as I know.  Weber State has an excellent program.  Ferris State is a also a good school.

There are schools in Montana and elsewhere that have begun offering degrees in Weld Engineering but I shy away from them as the programs are new.  Not saying they are bad just unknown.

If I was a young person wishing to do something in the welding field that offers excellent pay and is in high demand I would pursue a degree in WE.  Yes it takes four years, yes it is tough, yes it is worth it.

I currently have an intern from LeTourneau who I would hire in a minute as soon as he graduates.  They have an excellent program with 100% percent placement.  As of this time all of the seniors who will graduate in 2009 have positions.

Currently the need for weld engineers is growing with graduates only filling 30% of the need. 
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 07-29-2008 01:10
My compliments!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI Vs Weld Engineer