Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Help with Chosing a Career
- - By keaton08 Date 07-22-2008 03:58
I just graduated High School in late May, I'm currently enrolled to start taking Diesel Technology the 8/18, but I was thinking about switching to Welding Technology. The diesel would only be a college diploma, and the welding would be a AAS Degree. I live in Eastern Ky, and I was told by a student that graduated from the welding program a few years ago that most job offers was only .50 more than minimum wage, which is currently $6.55hr, until you had a few years expirience. I'm really unsure about what to take..

There has been a 67 mile, 20in. natural gas pipeline being installed here in my area, but its a company from WV doing it, and that would be about 3-4hrs. travel everyday. But I thought of MAYBE starting a Pipeline Service and Repair, or a Diesel Service business later in the future. There is a lot of Surface and Underground Coal Mines in my region. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Josh
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-22-2008 13:11
go get your hands wet in both. I got my A.A.S in Welding and fabrication in 07, but while I was there I also took a few motorcycle repair and Machining classes. I really like CNC machining and I almost switched.  Right now there is real shortage of welders so it's a field you can't go wrong with. There's a lot of work to be had in welding especially if you don't mind moving.

I can't speak about diesel tech as I don't know anything about the field, other than the fact that engines won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

in my opinion you'll do fine in either field. I'm very partial to welding but the job prospects are good.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Help with Chosing a Career