Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / I'm new
- - By das jenjamin Date 07-23-2008 00:09
Hi everyone-
I am currently a student at Universal Techincal Institute. I am in the Collision Repair program and of course, welding is part of it. When I started school, I figured I go in the direction of working on cars. That is, until I started welding class last week. So far, I have only been at it, like I said, a week, but I sort of fell in love with it. Automotive repair is without a doubt my fallback, but I'd really,really love to get into welding beyond the 3 weeks of instruction we get at UTI and even beyond welding on cars. So far, we've been practicing vertical and overhead welds- fillet, butt with backing, butt joint and plug welds. I had never even touched a welding machine until last Tuesday, so I am very new. I pretty much love everything about it, right down to being in the hot warehouse w/ leathers on, not to mention we have awesome instructors.
I guess what I am getting at is any information, advice- etc, etc. about this field I can get would be greatly appreciated. I want to learn anything and everything I possibly can I figured this would be a good place to start.
Thanks so much

-Jennifer
Parent - - By medicinehawk01 (**) Date 07-23-2008 07:30
Hi Jennifer and welcome. Yeah, I love welding too and have been at it for over 20 years and other than aches and pains for being 40 something, I still like welding alot! There are many different types of welding processes that are used and some are easier to learn than others so IF you think you might like to move in the direction of welding as a career than you should pick the brain of your instructors and read up about it. I work in the heavy construction industry where I will say there is going to be a serious shortage of skilled weldors in the next 10- 20 years because i don't see many young people getting into it. That being said, they are going to have to pay more money to get (and keep) skilled crafts people. This site is definately the place to be to get answers to any questions about welding so you are in the right place. Again, welcome and I am sure you'll have great responses to any inquiries you might have as there are some highly regarded experienced people who also enjoy this sport of welding.

Be well,

Hawk
Parent - - By das jenjamin Date 07-23-2008 23:40
Thank you, Hawk :)
I really would like to get a little 140 amp MIG welder so that I can sit and do practice welds. I figure that's a good start. We really only get 3 weeks worth of actual welding training at UTI, so all the practice I can get on the side would be sweet.
It would be great to find someone to work/train with on the weekends/after school, but I have no expierience in the construction field and I do not know anyone who is a welder.

The questions I have at this point are so many- I am not even to sure of the direction I want to go with it. All I know right now is I am loving the initial act of welding.

Can I ask how you (or anyone else) got started?
Parent - - By medicinehawk01 (**) Date 07-24-2008 09:56
[deleted]
Parent - - By welding newbey Date 08-07-2008 19:37 Edited 08-07-2008 19:59
hey yall im new at welding i am a junior in highschool and im in my first welding class....i need help i mean u know i would love to make it a trade and i dont know what im asking i guess just some suport lol i just baught a welding helmet from lows a koblat auto darkening and it was a $138 is it a good helmet?-Johnathan
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 08-07-2008 20:17
Hello Johnathan, welcome to the forum. I have never personally used the particular helmet that you are describing so I really can't comment on it. I would say that when you buy some of the off-brand hoods(the Kobalt probably falls into that category) that you can run into issues finding the cover glass plastics and possibly some of the other things that usually go wrong, such as the head-gear. There might possibly be others on the forum who could comment more directly about this particular hood. As far as making welding a trade or career, it is such a broad area that you can likely end up doing any number of things within it and being completely content and satisfied with your choices and options. At the same time it will provide you with a "living wage" or better in most cases. Try using the search function on the forum here and you will find many threads and conversations from various folks starting out and see a bunch of information that has been provided to them about any number of areas and topics. Try typing in headings in the search area such as "newbie with questions", "welding opportunities", "underwater welding", "looking for a welding job", "welding helper opportunities", "looking to get into the union", "apprenticeship opportunities". These and other similar type headings might provide you with a great deal of information that could possibly answer some of your questions about the welding trades. Keep in mind that welding includes: engineering, inspection, welders, fitters, fabricators, rig welders, pipeliners, maintenance welders, aerospace welders, and a host of other topics. Stay tuned to the forum here and keep your questions coming, there are a tremendous number of individuals with all kinds of valuable information that will respond to you. Best regards, aevald
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / I'm new