Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS Certified Weld Department?
- - By 1fastguy (**) Date 07-23-2008 14:56
I was asked by a customer if we could get our entire weld shop certified. We have 85% of our welders certified and a full NDT Dept. I have never heard of a AWS Certification that covers the whole shop, is there such a thing?
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 07-23-2008 15:02
this might be what they are requesting. I believe it is fairly new.

http://www.aws.org/w/a/certification/FAB/
Parent - - By 1fastguy (**) Date 07-23-2008 16:56
thanks
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-25-2008 02:13
AWS has a Certified Welding Fabricator program that requires the shop to establish a quality control system, use WPSs, use certified welders, etc. That program certifies the fabricator.

They also have the National Registry for welders were the welders have to be tested (qualified) through an ATF (Accreditied Testing Facility). I don't know why a fabricator would want to do that, but is one of the many ways to ensure the fabricator's welders are qualified and certified (in this case through the AWS).

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 07-25-2008 04:25
We do all the above, and aren't a certified fab shop through AWS. and we stay very busy. Is it another cash cow for AWS?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-25-2008 13:55
You only need certification, be it as a welder, CPA, or nurse, if your customer requires it because they are looking for a level of comfort that you are competent to perform the work they need to have done.

Owners and architects require the fabricators to be certified to AISC, the Navy has their requirements that include an audit as does any certification program offered in the privet sector. Many state's bridge programs require their fabricators to hold AISC certification, but to a different level of competency than the building fabricator. There are industrial sectors that are not included in the AISC program and don't involve work for the military. They, just as building owners or bridge owners are looking for a system that provides a certain level of comfort that the welding shop has the capability to do the work required.

They are looking for suppliers that have a QC system in place, use qualified welders, know how to purchase materials to the proper specification, have inspection capabilities, etc. They don't fit the available certification programs such as AISC (the one I am familiar with). Who might fit this category? How about machinery fabricators or those companies that fabricate stairs? How about those companies that fabricate or manufacture sub-components for the medical industry or utilities that doesn't fall under ASME or AISC? Those are the types of companies the AWS Certified Welding Fabricator is intended to help. Again, it provides the purchaser a means of having an unbiased third party assess the capabilities of the fabricator or manufacturer to have a QC system implemented to help ensure the product is going to meet the requirements of the purchase documents.

Any company that doesn't have customers asking for some sort of certification clearly doesn't need this program if they are busy and are not looking to expand their customer base. However, if I were a fabricator, large or small, that was trying to expand the customer base, or needed a good marketing tool to show potential customers they have the capability to build a quality product, this is one avenue to consider.

A cash cow, no, I don't think so. The fees charged by AWS are minimal compared to some other programs that charge by the ton or by the gross receipts. 

It's the same question as "Why does a welder need to be certified?" The answer is, "He doesn't unless it opens doors that would otherwise be closed because he wasn't certified."

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 07-25-2008 14:13
I can understand that, we are gaining new customers all the time, in fact we just landed a job where the owners have told us 75% of thier suppliers cannot meet the stringent quality demanded for building locomatives. almost as bad as a nuke job. we go way beyond code work and have a good quality system in place. our quality system has carried over from when we were doing nuclear jobs. in fact we still do containment vessels for transporting waste.
I can see where it could help some places, but I dont think it would benifit anyone if they already have a good quality system in place.
just my opinion!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-28-2008 05:38 Edited 07-28-2008 05:40
There is no argument on that point. If you already have a QC system in place, there is no reason to have AISC, NADCAP, or AWS audits and the associated certifications unless your customer is requires third party involvement.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you say "...75% of their suppliers cannot meet the stringent quality demanded for building locomotives." Those companies would most likely benefit from a quality control system that is subject to third party audits. They are they type of companies that might be able to turn their quality issues around if they are serious about adopting a good quality control system and adopting a different way of doing business.  That entails a change in corporate culture which is hard to change because it involves change at the management level before it can change on the production floor.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AWS Certified Weld Department?