Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding .032 Aluminum without filler rod
- - By schulerg Date 07-23-2008 20:24
Is it posible to Tig weld .031 6061 Aluminum without filler rod. The application is welding a 6" x .700 x .032 thick ring to a thicker round part. Hand welding with filler would take way to long. Currently we use a semi-automatic fusion process for 300 SS. Has anyone had experience doing with aluminum?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-23-2008 20:56
Hello schulerg, I would say the short answer is that it is possible. Unfortunately I believe the long answer is that it isn't very probable. A number of things come to mind here, you have a very thin ring that has very little heat absorption ability when compared to the thicker part that you may be joining it to. That being the case it will be very difficult to bring both parts to the same energy level at the same time to perform an autogenous weld. Depending upon it's use it may also exhibit an excessive amount of undercut at the toes of the weld bead, how much will this affect it's purpose? How will you position and hold this ring while the welding is being performed? The coefficient of expansion of aluminum tends to make it crawl all over the place so keeping it round and tightly contacted to the other part might be difficult. If you are planning on tack welding it before making the weld I believe that will also interfere with your plans to perform the welding. Using a backing fixture made of stainless steel might help with issues of equal heat distribution, yet you would probably need to invest considerable time getting this figured out. Your material would also need to be spotlessly clean and oxide free, otherwise you wouldn't be able to readily get it to fuse. A little better description of the parts and their relationships to one another might allow for a better response from everyone. You are proposing a tough one here. Best regards, aevald
Parent - By schulerg Date 07-24-2008 11:59
Hi aevald,
This is a new part design, I'm going back to the customer with feed back to see if they can change the material and or design.
Thank you for your suggestions,
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 07-24-2008 11:42
I would ask for a design change so that the tubes could pilot onto each other to make an overlap (fillet) weld.  We do that all the time in situations like yours.
Parent - By schulerg Date 07-24-2008 12:11
Hi OBEWAN,
Thank you for your reply; I have a few sample parts that I will try your suggestion. The heavier part will have a turned lip about .032 wall thickness that will pilot the .032 wall thickness ring. Welding on the outer diameter we will try to flow the metal from the outer piece into the inner piece. We tried a butt fusion weld from the I.D. without luck and a lot of cracking. The only way it would work is adding filler, that we are trying to avoid. We have little experience welding aluminum. Most of the welding we perform is on Titanium and SS.

schulerg
Parent - - By SWP (**) Date 07-24-2008 13:19
The thinness of the aluminum may make this difficult, but I thiink the main issue is the hot cracking of autogeneous welded 6061.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-25-2008 04:34
SWP: The hot cracking problems led Me to believe that fusion welding 6061 was impractical, but when I suggested that on another thread it turned out that there were a few doing it on a production basis. Aparently there are jobs where it can be done, and ones where it can't.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding .032 Aluminum without filler rod