Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive?
- - By josh briones (*) Date 07-24-2008 00:25
wat would b the best to rig up and tha diference
Parent - By snuffman (***) Date 07-24-2008 00:39
I would say 4x4 unless you no your going to stay in one area that you dont need it, or work in plants. If you buy a 4x4 you can go anywhere anytime a job comes up and not worry about it. You can ask Sourdough when first met we both were driving 2x4, 1 winter, or good rain in the mountains will put a end to that. I nearly got drug off the side of a mountian and when I got off I told the boss man I was taken off tell I got a 4x4. That was on monday and the following monday I was rigged 4x4. Anyways, My point is 4x4 in my oppinion is the best way to go, you can go from coast to coast no prob.
Parent - - By zach benefield (*) Date 07-24-2008 00:42
i wouldn't buy anything that wasn't 4x4 simply because a 2x4 diesel or so stinkin heavy my dad bought one and couldn't get out of the wet grass but that is my 2 cents

zach
Parent - - By josh briones (*) Date 07-24-2008 00:49
ya i just got a 05 dodge 2x4 i wanted a 4x4 but it was a good deal so i took it but i=am goin to rig it out but a buddy of mine has a 2x4 and he jsut gets a dozer to pull him in and out on location lol
Parent - By rick harnish (***) Date 07-24-2008 13:29
4x4  Worth the extra cost
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 07-24-2008 15:19
4x4. I don't leave home without it.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-24-2008 14:08
JMHO 4X4 Go big or stay home. While it does not happen all the time, there are a few occasions when you will not be allowed on the ROW without 4X4.

jrw159
Parent - By Root Pass (***) Date 07-24-2008 15:47
I like my Dodge 6x6.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-25-2008 00:47
Unless you plan on staying in a place where you don't need four wheel drive, (where is that - the Bonneville Salt Flats?), get a rig that will get to the job no matter what!

The last thing you want to do is get a call out to a good money job that requires a 4x4 rig, and then sit on your sofa wondering how much money you would have made if you had a rig that could of got on location.

It cracks me up when I see these guys up here in Colorado w/ 2 wheel drives. You see them putting chains on and still sliding off the road in sub-arctic temps, or if it sprinkles. They pay a grand for a tow truck to come rescue them from certain frostbite.

I can totally see if you're a highway man, but 90% of my business is via oilfield roads that are maintained for function, not fashion. If it rains, it's bad. If it snows, it's bad. If it blows, it's bad. Generally it's never good..................my 2 cents.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive?