Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / hot taps
- - By zach benefield (*) Date 07-24-2008 00:50
i was wondering if i could get somebody that could give me a few pointers i have never made one but the company that i work for r going to send me to test for a gas company that does a few of them any help would be great

thanks
zach
Parent - - By josh briones (*) Date 07-24-2008 00:53
hey wat gas company u goin to?
Parent - - By zach benefield (*) Date 07-24-2008 01:09
i want to say atlas but i can not remeber
Parent - By josh briones (*) Date 07-24-2008 01:57
o ya they have a plant right by my home town i heard they r goin to be runin a pipeline from that plant down to houston my dad was a forman for OPD out of katy TX
Parent - - By Justin O (**) Date 07-24-2008 02:39
what do you need to know im doing it for eneterprise right now.
Parent - - By zach benefield (*) Date 07-24-2008 22:55
i have a general idea i have put split tee's on befor be we could get the gas off, but i have never welded one with gas behind it my boss talkin about 800 psi
what r some of the things that i need to watch out for
do i use 6010 on it at all
should i use 3/32 7018 or 1/8
i am not sure what the test will be, i was told to weld it cold but cold r we talkin
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-25-2008 00:29
What most people don't know is that you are better off doing hot taps when that product is flowing. It cools your bead as your are welding. Also, there is no oxygen in the line = no boom boom!

If you are working on a hot line that is open ended at your weld but not in service, make sure the other end is shut in. no oxygen = no boom boom!

If you are working on an out of service hot line that is open ended on both ends, well..........keep your hood far enough back that the flames don't melt the plastic before you tie in the root! lol

As far as the rod - on pipe, I would imagine downhill rod. On weld-o-lets and nipples, I would imagine either or; downhill rod, or low hy-or both.......

Good luck, and don't be scared. AND charge accordingly on hot taps! I charge 110 bucks per inch.

Remember this: no oxygen, no boom boom. Seriously that's all there is to it!
Parent - By james1 (*) Date 07-25-2008 00:54 Edited 07-25-2008 00:58
How about asking for all thier procedures bebore you start.eg lam test,, cooling rate test,do you require someone trained to run rosebud ahead of you with temp sticks, thickness test, rod requirements,rated fittings  do they lower pressure which increass flow and chilling rate..  toe cracking and hardness are what you don't want here.. anything I forgot please fill in ....these things may help may you look like a pro

James
Parent - - By Paladin (***) Date 07-25-2008 01:13
The gas company will have a procedure for welding the hot tap. My guess it that you will take the API 1104 test, a branch weld and a butt weld. You will weld the hot tap like you weld the branch. Use the same rods the gas company requires for the test.
Grind the pipe shiny where the tee will sit. I don't ever weld cold. You want a heat you can control.  But particularly on the first pass, direct most of the arc on the tee. Just let the puddle lick the pipe. Then, I like to run a hot pass that smooths everything out and appears that that the weld is completly fused to both the tee and pipe. On most sizes I run two more passes. In other words a two pass cap. Do not try to weld cold. Just have a managable heat and let about one third or one half of the puddle tie in to the pipe. On a scap piece of pipe, try and see how hard it is to burn through. Very few people are killed doing this.
Parent - By zach benefield (*) Date 07-25-2008 01:24
thanks that helps
got any pointers on the branch

zach
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-26-2008 00:08
You will be welding to API 1104 Appendix B. In addition to the butt and branch you will have to do the sleeve test. This is outlined in API 1104 B.3. This test is fairly involved if done properly. Most pipeline companies require anything that welds to the pipe in service to be welded with E7018 UH
The tacks on the side of the sleeve MAY be done with 6010 but everything else is LH.
The line MUST be flowing as this is what keeps the weld cool. Hot taps are not that dangerous. The weld area has to be UT examined and it must meet certain t-min requirements.
Now welding sleeves on corroded pipe is something else. wahooo
BABRT's
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-27-2008 13:34
Are we talking about a 12" branch test? Sheeeeeit! Done a few of those!

Dont worry. If you are a hand you will do just fine. Most times that I do that test, they don't even test it, (not the way they should)!

They just want to know if you can do more than dance - know what I mean?
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-27-2008 13:46
I agree with bigK

Everything should be inspected before the "tap".

Sometimes the line is washed out on the bottom, (most times), and you have to take that into consideration. Burning thru a thin spot sucks!

That's when you're gonna get burned, if the line is flowing.
Parent - - By zach benefield (*) Date 07-25-2008 01:21
i have fixed leaks and things like that no big deal, but i have never welded one with pressure no it befor and i was just wondering if there was any special things that i need to do or watch out for

but sourdough thanks for your help
oh more product better or worse

thanks zach
Parent - By Paladin (***) Date 07-25-2008 02:18
Good fit is key for me on the branch. Try to get a pattern to lay out the saddle. I have layed them out by the Pipe Fitters Blue Book, but a good pattern is a real time saver. Make yourself a copy. If possible make the fit ahead of time when you have plenty of time and no pressure. Grind the bevel much bigger at the deep part of the saddle, not much at the points. A little land is a good idea. Tack the saddle part first, the points last. The points will always close in. Little wedges are handy to get a good fit on the points. Try for a consistent gap. Also. plan your tacks so they are not where the straps will be cut out. It is handy to have a remote or someone to adjust your machine for the variance you might have in the gap. When you cut out the hole in the branch, I like to leave 1/8 or so inside of the saddle.
I always swear that I will stay current with my qualifications so I won't have to go through the whole thing again. But have let it go from time to time. Hope that helps.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-27-2008 13:40
PRODUCTION BABY!

If that company has a bunch of product moving, chances are you will be THE MAN!!

I did more than 170 well hook-ups last year, and many-many hot taps. The outfit that used me kept me busy even tho they didn't have much going on after gov. stipulations. They don't want to lose their "pet" welder!

You will learn just how important a good welder is after time!

Don't do anyone any favors!
Parent - - By Justin O (**) Date 07-25-2008 05:54
they shouldnt let you weld unless the product is flowing and it is all low hydrogen  no 5p  the test is a sleeve at a 45 with water flowing through it.
Parent - - By Justin O (**) Date 07-25-2008 05:56
3/32 on the pipe to the sleeve and some inspectors let you do a 3/32 root and finish with 1/8 on the long seams
Parent - By zach benefield (*) Date 07-26-2008 01:03
thanks guys now i no what to expect that helps a bunch

thanks
zach
Parent - By texasrigwelder (**) Date 07-26-2008 23:09
ya we call it the water torture test it suks cutting the straps through 2 pieces
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-27-2008 13:42
It could be a 12" branch, which is all down hill.

Spose it depends on the code, and what part of the nation you are in?
Parent - - By Robert Turney (*) Date 07-27-2008 15:08
Hey Zach, what kind of tee r u going to be working on?  Just curious.  I weld on distibution pressure and makes taps on 2 inch and 4 inch.  Just wondering.
Parent - By zach benefield (*) Date 07-28-2008 23:22
not really sure but they said something about 800psi if that helps, told my boss to get all of the procedures still waiting,
not going to test till mid to late august

zach
Parent - By zach benefield (*) Date 07-28-2008 23:19
i am in south eastern ok
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / hot taps