Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / A problem welding bronze with TIG (GTAW)
- - By Fingust Date 07-24-2008 20:52
Hey

I have a problem with welding bronze, I'm using a DC Tig welding machine. I cannot weld bronze, every time I'm trying to weld it, it doesn't melt, the only thing that happens is that it starts to boil and a lot of fumes and smoke appear from the parts I'm trying to weld together. And there is another thing, I can get the material to a red-hot state, but it doesn't melt together like when I weld stainless steel.

I would be happy to get an answer.

Ps.  Please don't criticize mine English, since I'm from Slovenia.

Parent - - By flamin (**) Date 07-24-2008 23:10 Edited 07-24-2008 23:33
Fingust
It's been awhile since I've welded bronze, but if I remember correctly, it needs a fair amount of preheat to get things flowing.

Jason
Parent - - By Fingust Date 07-25-2008 08:58
Thanks, do you perhaps remember what kind of current did you use? Because I'm using a DC welder and it won't work, would i need an AC welder for bronze any ideas?
Parent - By flamin (**) Date 07-25-2008 13:17
I used DC straight with pure argon shielding. In a way it's kind of like aluminum in the sense that, it takes some time for the base metal to reach a weldable temp. And once it's there, it's difficult to tell.

Jason
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / A problem welding bronze with TIG (GTAW)