Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Which would you choose?
- - By Erikgr7 (*) Date 07-25-2008 18:06
I am a structural welder working overseas but, will be returning
to the US, sometime in late Fall or early spring.

My plan was to go to Lincoln Electric and take their pipewelding
course when I first returned.

After checking their site I found they also offer classes to be a
CWI as well.

So gentlemen the question is??

If you had to choose between pipewelding or becoming a CWI
which would you pick and for what reasons?

I know that there is money in pipewelding...can anyone else give
me some direction on this? Pros Cons
Parent - By 3.1 Inspector Date 07-25-2008 18:11
Go for the CWI!
Your body and lungs will thank you later. Yes money can be made in pipewelding, but it can also be made inspecting the welds.

Good luck, whatever you choose :)
Parent - By Ringo (***) Date 07-25-2008 18:57
I am both,and I am glad I went over to the CWI side after years of welding pipe.It's alot easier to look at 'em than it is to make 'em.Good luck.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 07-25-2008 19:35
you can do cwi work late into you 60's.
Parent - - By Erikgr7 (*) Date 07-25-2008 21:26
Thanks guys for the replies.

I'll keep everyone updated on what I do.
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 07-30-2008 12:41
I have not seen any less money since I went to inspecting.  I make almost per hour what I did with my rig before.  Plus I am working full-time with a company doing shut-downs/construction.  I also have an excellent package as far as the bennies go, medical, dental, vision, paid holidays, paid vacation, 401.  By the time you add the package I am making more than I did as a welder.  Do I miss it??  Sometimes I do, if you don't like paperwork and being organized you might not like inspection.  But I think overall it's a wise move for someone who wants to do it.  I made the cost of my card back on the first 8 week outage I hit.  Good luck, it's a fairly hard test but I passed first time you've just got to study for a couple of months an hour a day or so. 
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Which would you choose?